Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal 100RS Dew Shield

Hi Everyone. Would anyone have any idea where i could get a replacement dew shield for the Tal 100RS. I purchased a 2nd hand OTA last weekend but it was sold without the dew shield. Apparently it fell of the end on the original owner and got broken. I know i could make something out of foam or rubber that would probably do the job but would ideally like the original or similar if possible. Thanks.:)

PS. I hope i have posted in the correct section.

Join the TAL group on here (see communities above) and have a chat with AndyH - he may be able to get you one from the factory. The TAL factory needs a certain knack in dealing with them which I lack but Andy is able to shake the odd answer out of them.

What a shame the previous owner didn't take better care of it.

Thanks for the replies guys. It really is a shame about the dew shield as the rest of the OTA is in excellent condition. A few hairline scratches on the objective lens but i don't think they will affect performance in any way. The previous owner swears they were there from new! Anyway, i paid him £90 as it was and i think its a bargain even without the dew shield. I bought it to compliment my 200p Dob and as i am recently new to this hobby thought i'd toy with a cheap refractor. Just waiting on my EQ5 to arrive and i'm set to go.

One more thing, will i need a dovetail bar to attach the OTA to the mount? Its a new EQ5 but not sure what comes in the box. I have the tube rings for the OTA but no dovetail bar. Please forgive my newbie ignorance! Thanks Again

As suggested get the 8" dovetail. Works fine for mounting my Tal ota's to non Tal mounts.

4401591535_a0a4d70245.jpg

4402358208_c6d850bf6a.jpg

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: You should be able to get a replacement dewshield from Russia if all else fails. It's not a straight forward process, but perfectly possible. Details in the 'Tal Users group' pages.

You could try one of these dewshields, that may fit the 100RS. Anti-Dew - Astronomy Accessories - Warehouse Express

They're really, really cheap and great quality. I've got a couple of the etx70at versions and they are a good fit on a 100mm tube(I use them for a pair of 80mm finder scopes, made from an old pair of bincs.). Can't remember the size of the 100RS lens cell tho ? I know the tube is/was 102mm or thereabouts.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered the medium dovetail from FLO earlier. I think the flexable dewshield from Warehouse Express could be the winner although the 4" drainpipe does sound a bit more robust. Might have a go at that tomorrow. I have sent an email to the factory in Russia as well to a guy called Yuri something or other. Found his email in an older reply of Andys. Not holding much hope but thought i'd give it a go anyhow. I could not wait for the EQ5 to arrive tomorrow so i came up with temporary solution(stunning clear skies over here tonight). I turned the Dob OTA upside down, wrapped some camping mat around it and strapped the Tal on top!! My wife nearly choked laughing when she came out to say goodnight. Really should have taken some pics. Anyway, not an ideal setup but it gave me an idea of what i have to look forward to with this little gem. The moon was simply stunning and i have never witnessed stars so pin sharp! Roll on tomorrow for the arrival of the EQ5. I don't think the Dob or my nerves could handle that setup again!

Update... I have just received a response from Mr Yuri Elovnko. He stated that what i am actually looking for is the Hood. He forwarded a picture of it for me to confirm & stated that he would come back with price on February 16th. I really was not expecting a response to my email and so had ordered a flexable dew shield from Warehouse Express. I will still go ahead and buy the original as long as its not to complicated an affair. So far so good!

EQ5 arrived this morning.

So did the clouds!

Hi everyone, yes just to close this thread i can confirm that a replacement dew shield is on its way from Russia. I have to say that i did not hold much hope of even getting a response when i emailed Mr Elovenko but as it turned out he could not have been more helpful. As Andy states, he is a top bloke. Anyway, still waiting on a proper first light with this baby. It has done nothing but rain since the EQ5 arrived! It actually came fitted with a polar alignment scope which was a pleasant surprise. I thought this was am optional extra? Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers

Damo

Archived