Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optical Vision Limited (OVL)

MG1

I recently sheared the screw that attches the DEC clutch lever on my NEQ6...I was slightly cross with myself!:)

However on Thursday I emailed the UK distributor OVL (info@opticalvision.co.uk) and after sending them a photo of the offending part they said they could post me a replacement for £5.

I posted them a cheque straight away and today (Saturday) recieved the replacement part.

Very impressed with such a quick turn around and helpful service department....Well Done Guys! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a slewing problem with my Synscan AZ goto mount. Spoke to Matthew at Sherwood Telescopes (where I had bought it from) and he contacted Optical Vision Ltd. (the importers). He arranged with Robert at OVL that I should drop it off, as I live reasonably close.

Replacement came by Fedex the next day.

Now that IS good service!

My thanks to both Sherwood's and OVL.

• 9 months later...

Sunday night ordered, online, a Skywatcher Mak 127 Synscan GoTo as a Christmas present for my disabled nephew and it arrived Wednesday morning.

Excellent service and delivery from both.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I thought I should just give a mention to Optical Vision Ltd.

I have a Skywatcher 150P with the 1.25/2" crayford (single speed) focusser. There are rubber grips on the focusser wheels, and one of mine had split into two, falling of the wheel.

I had serached in vain to see if any online retailer supplies spare parts for Skywatcher telescopes (as opposed to accesories), so I sent Optical Vision Ltd an email, using the "contact us" function on their website, asking them if there was a retailer who could supply a replacement.

I got an email back stating that they had popped a couple in the post, first class, and they should be with me shortly - no charge. They arrived the next day and one is now fitted - the other will act as a spare. :)

Great service! I shall no doubt pop along to their stall at the Astrofest exhibition to thank them personally...! :)

Jim

• 1 year later...

I bought a new 8x32 Sahara binocular (Barr and Stroud) from a supplier on Ebay about six months ago. Didn't really use it much (once or twice for birds in garden). When I ended up using it to gaze into the night sky over New Year I found it was out of collimation (double image when looking at stars).

Unfortunately, going back to eBay, I noted the supplier was no longer trading.

Sigh....

The Barr & Strouds advertise a 10 year guarentee (of sorts). Thought I might try Optical Vision Ltd as they are the distributor in the UK.

Sent off an email, they then asked me to send them the bins (which I did). Replacement bins sent by courier within a few days.

No muss, no fuss. Very pleasant surprise.

Well done OVL.

An Amazon 3rd party supplier (Picsio/Digital Discount) supplied me with a Hertitage 130p dobsonian. On opening the package it was obvious that this scope had not only been used before (it was sold as a new item) but had been clearly used for some time and damaged. The evidence was: Torn presentation box; Seals on manual and accessories broken and other bags creased: Flextube top assembly sheared, top assembly broken in two, gouges on base, scope tube damaged: mount damaged: rust had formed on spider arm holding secondary mirror and all paint peeled off.

This was without doubt a used product, repackaged and delivered to me as a "new" item. Seller claimed must have been damaged "in transit". I pointed out that given the damage this was impossible and the damage had to have been through long term use. Seller stated that all products were received direct from Optical Vision and were re-delivered uninspected, or ordered direct from Optical Vision who shipped directly to customer. He claimed therefore that it was Optical Vision who had supplied him and therefore me with a used scope.

An email to Optical Vision was replied to promptly and it was admitted that this scope was delivered in error. While they did offer a terse apology and offered to replace and inspect replacement scope before delivery they also stated that they deliver thousands of products and it was very rare for this to happen, not grasping the fact that receiving a scope in this condition was not only quite stressful since it put the onus on me to demonstrate it was used and not damaged by me, but it was also a fundamental breach of good faith as well as a criminal breach of consumer regulations (Sale of Goods Act).

While I was refunded (rather late and after many emails to seller), I felt if I had been in a similar position I would have bent over backwards to show goodwill beyond simply replacing the damaged goods. No reply was received to my second email pointing this out.

I accept I was unlucky and that statistically this is unlikely. Nevertheless it happened and what this demonstrates is that Optical Vision does not inspect goods before delivery and nor did the retailer. Optical Vision claimed that their suppliers (Synta) had exemplary quality control, but Synta are not to blame here. What clearly happened is that Optical Vision received returned goods and either by accident or some other reason sent it out again as a new item. That should not ever happen and I feel this was not taken seriously enough and the apology received half hearted.

• 1 month later...

Hi I just want to give a big up to Optical Vision Ltd I wanted to order a dob base from them and they only take cheques. I don't have a cheque book so on Saturday morning I popped down to the post office in the city centre and raised a money order and popped it into the post thinking this will take a couple of weeks to get my base. Imagine my supprise when my base arrived this morning a two day turn around with a postal order over a Sunday. I have to say that I'm staggered that's really impressive I can't think of any other company I have dealt with who have been as fast as that. The stand is perfect exactly what I wanted (and yes it's already assembled lol) and the serive via email and speed of delivery have been awesome.

Well done Optical Vision it's been a pleasure dealing with you.

Thanks

Brian

Archived