Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4 Messiers and 3 Caldwells found

Yesterday was clear for a change, though a thin haze, a crescent moon, and occasional thin clouds obscured things from time to time.

LP was moderate. I dragged out the C8 and 15x70 binoculars to make the most of it.

I first turned to the Eskimo nebula, NGC 2392, the brighter centre of which was easily spotted in the C8, at 93x with the Nagler 22mm, especially with the UHC filter in place. With the 14mm UWA a bit of detail emerged, but I need a darker site to properly see more. Nonetheless, Caldwell 39 ticker off the list.

I then turned to the "Intergalactic Wanderer" NGC 2419 (Caldwell 25). This was hard to find, star-hopping from Castor. I was absolutely sure I had the right spot, but only after some time did I see a very faint circular glow. Because the floodlights of the football field were still lit, I marked this as "marginal" and proceeded with other objects. I did later return, once the floodlights were off, and lo and behold, it stood out much more clearly.

I tried the Flaming Star Nebula, but no dice: too much LP. I must try this from a properly dark site.

I switched to the binoculars for a while and ticked off NGC 1528 and NGC 1545 in Perseus. Two very different open clusters. The former appears as a circular haze filled with many faint stars, whereas the latter looks more "coarse grained", containing a few brighter stars (some fore ground?). I must have seen both before in binoculars, but somehow never logged them.

I also visited M35 and M36 briefly, and went inside to wait for the floodlights to switch off.

As Leo was higher up, and the floodlights were switched off, I had another session, and first revisited M65 and M66 in Leo. Both could be seen in a single FOV of the 22mm Nagler. I tried to find a few nearby galaxies, but conditions were not good enough.

I then moved from Denebola to 6 Com, to hunt for M98, but that proved elusive. I then moved on to M99, just below, and got it first go. A faint smudge, and quite hard to spot, best views at 143x with the 14mm UWA, and without UHC filter. Moved on to M100, which was similar in brightness. Both showed some condensation in the centre, and (again) I really should see these from a darker site.

Still two new Messiers in the bag!

I then star-hopped my way from 11 Com, to find M85. This was a lot easier. Much brighter circular glow, almost like a globular cluster. NGC 4394 showed up faintly (averted vision only) beside it.

With the counter at 3 new Messiers and two new Caldwells I decided to hunt for another nearby Caldwell: NGC 3626 in Leo, or C40. A slightly elongated blob came into view after star-hopping from Zosma (delta Leonis). It was quitel easy compared to M99 and M100, but a lot dimmer than M85. I probably spotted the somewhat elongated centre region, but not the outlying parts.

To finish off the "tail end" of of Messier, I decided to have a go at M102 (NGC 5866) in Draco. Star hopping from iota Draconis quickly located the spot, and the galaxy was dead center (I just love BIG finder scopes:D). A clear, elongated galaxy showed up. Together with M85, this was the easiest of the galaxies spotted. Seeing was not that good, so more detail was not forth-coming. Under good conditions, I hope the central dust lane might show up.

Finding it bagged my fourth Messier for the evening, and means M99 to M110 are now complete. I gave M98 one last go, but again, no dice. That would have mean having M95-M110 complete.

I had hoped to get another look at SN2011b, but it was too awkwardly placed (the plum tree was in the way) so I had to pack the stuff in. Still: Three Caldwells (C25, C39, and C40), four Messiers (M85, M99, M100, and M102) and four other NGCs (NGC 1528, NGC 1545, and NGC 4394), is not a bad haul for one night of so-so conditions. :(

A very enjoyable read. Those Coma Berenices galaxies are really great to find, quite a challenge but worthwhile once found. Virgo will be up soon and there's loads more in there especially quite a few cigar shape galaxies, that come in pairs.

Try getting M84, M86, Ngc 4438, 4435, 4388, and 4402 all in the same FOV, makes an astonishing view.

A very enjoyable read. Those Coma Berenices galaxies are really great to find, quite a challenge but worthwhile once found. Virgo will be up soon and there's loads more in there especially quite a few cigar shape galaxies, that come in pairs.

Try getting M84, M86, Ngc 4438, 4435, 4388, and 4402 all in the same FOV, makes an astonishing view.

In the distant past, with my old 6" Newtonian, I did get up to 6 galaxies in one FOV around M86, but did not log the lot. They may well be the set you mention. I was having far too much fun just coasting through the region to make serious notes. When next it clears, I will throw the scope in the back of the car, and go outside the city.

Archived