Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light modded DSLR - Rosette

Dave Smith

I finally decided to send my 40D to Astronomiser for modding. It arrived back yesterday morning and amazingly there followed a clear evening icon_thumright.gif

This is the result of 24 x 5 min subs at iso 800 through my FL102S. I had planned to get 40 subs but the cloud rolled in crybaby2.gif

I also did 10 darks and plenty flats and bias frames. The result from DSS looked like

RosetteDSS.jpg

After playing with it in Photoshop CS2

Rosette02.jpg

I was delighted to get anything as nothing tangable could be seen on the subs and I didn't think I should increase the exposure time because of the light polution. I was amazed as to how big it was - it looks to me if I will have to try next time with a smaller focal length. The FL102S has FL=900mm. I have a 600mm FL Celestron 80ED or could use camera lenses, 400 or 200mm.

Would this image benefit from using a LP filter or does the processing deal with that?

Any other tips or comments on the processing etc gratefully received.

Dave

If you use an LP filter (I've tried the CLS) your subs are going to look like your stack!

I have seen many examples of the change in subs using a LP filter. What I'm not so sure about is the effect on the final image.

I think you've done a grand job there Dave on the 2nd image, the background could be slightly darker with star colour also being more nautralised. The 80mm would be better suited for this job.

Nadeem.

Thanks Nadeem. I'll give it a try.
Wow, what a difference!! I am getting a modded 1000D and wonder whether there is a difference to the PP with a modded and unmodded camera. Do you change your workflow at all?
I didn't change my workflow except there was no need to increase saturation or colour balance. Generally it seemed easier.

Dave

Sorry for the Drift Dave... you have got to be happy with that for a firstlight :)

Peter...

No problem with the drift - it's interesting.

Yes thank you, I am happy with that as first light.

It does look as though I need a CLS clip filter - must save some more pennies :(

Dave

Archived