NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Hyperion

I am just considering my move to go for individual lenses such as the TVue or Baader's (slowly building up a collection) or go for a Zoom such as the Baader 8-24mm. On the FLO shop site it states that the Baader Hyperion (in general) "...will accept a camera mounted directly onto the eyepiece."

How does this work? I already have have a camera adaptor to fit my EOS 500d directly on to my 150pds for prime focusing. Do you need another adaptor to fit the eyepiece to the camera?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an aging thread, but I just tried to attach my dslr with a T-ring to my Baader Hyperion 5mm and found that the thread on the eyepiece is too big for the T-ring.

Then I found the 'associated products' at the bottom of the eyepiece page at FLO...

Turns out it's a m43 thread on the eyepiece, which needs an adaptor to bring it down to m42 for the T-ring. Only about £6 though.

I ended up buying two threads, the first, a SP54/M58 which fits to the outer ring of the larger Hyperion and the (M58 thread) fitted onto my IS 18-55 Canon lens, although it makes for a bulky kit and needs support.

I have just bought the M43/T-2 adapter which fits directly to the smaller inner thread of the Hyperion and then screws into the Camera T-ring doing away with the camera lens altogether, much better.

It's a really good piece of kit. Nice wide field of view, good eye relief, although I've found you do need to be quite precise about where you actually put your eye or you'll find the image sort of off to one side (if you know what I mean). That's probably due to the small exit pupil.

As for the focal length to choose, the 5mm has a sort of mini 1.8x Barlow as part of the eyepiece (called an erfle, I think), that you can unscrew. It acts as the 1.25" adaptor. So as long as you can use 1.25 and 2" eyepieces, you'll have a 5mm (1.25") and a 9mm (2") in the same eyepiece. It does make it a bit of a faff to change between the two focal lengths, but it's essentially a buy one get one free.

The Hyperion zoom is great on the 150P. It made mine come to life - first decent ep ever I bought. Suddenly everything was a lot crisper and clearer and I was seeing detail not noticed before in supplied ep's.

To attach to a camera you'll need a T-ring for the camera and the appropriate thread size adaptor ring. All the hyperion range are camera friendly but the single size ep's take a different thread to the zoom - so make sure you get the right one :)

Archived