NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR blocking filter

Grandad

I have just bought my first mono ccd camera, an atik 314L, and I have a couple of questions with regards to filters.

I know I need the IR blocking filter for the RGB filters that I have bought but is it also essential to use it for mono (luminance) shots?

I have also bought a narrowband HA 7nm filter. Will the IR filter be a help or hinderance when using the HA filter?

So much to learn, so few opportunities to practice.

John:icon_scratch:

Congrats on the new camera, youl have a lot of joy from that baby.

Yep, you will still need it for L subs. But ive often wondered if I need it to block UV also (how much UV is out there?), my RGB filters are IR blocking but ive left the UV/IR blocker permanently mounted on the nosepiece becuase im using the APO fraccy. Not sure how much (if any) impact that has on the transmission though. If its the case that UV doesnt come into play then i could probably do away with that filter for now.

Thanks for the replies.

I have only had the chance to use the camera once, and then only briefly. I was suitably impressed with the detail captured in a 90sec unguided exposure compared to the 4 and 8 minute quided exposures I have been taking with my Olympus dslr.

Archived