Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scopes sharing an EQ3-2 mount?

Macavity

Rather a specific problem, but the hardware must be fairly common? So GENERAL thoughts welcome. :lol:

When I bought my first scope - A Skywatcher ST102/F5 Short-Tube refractor, it came on an AZ3. Later I bought an EQ3-2 and, later still, a Skymax MAK127 OTA. Now I use the AZ3 with the MAK (It's just about equal to the task!) as a "grab and go" scope. The Refractor sits, in rings, bolted directly to the EQ3-2. Basically, I'd like to (optionally) SHARE the EQ3-2 between MAK and refractor.

Firstly, the refractor (now) has a 2" back end and is quite "rear heavy" (Know the problem! LOL) so the default of bolting the tube rings DIRECTLY to the EQ3-2 requires conterweights on the nose of the OTA. (O.K. but a bit inelegant!) Has anyone a solution so a ST refractor can be "SLID forward a bit"? Secondly, Skymax 127mm MAKs come with a photographic bar screwed to the OTA. Is there some "hardware" combo that might allow it to SHARE the (modified) EQ3-2. Again a degree of "slide-ability" might be useful? :)

Precision response not required (Like my machine shop ability!), so Ideas re. standard "bits" to think about?

I may be missing something here, but can't you slide the refractor up the rings to balance it? It's desirable, IMHO, to have a rear-heavy rrefractor, because that shortens the back so you don't have to get on your hands and knees to see things at zenith. I have two scopes and one mount, but I have never used both scopes at once, preferring to choose a scope for the night, and use it.

Ah, the "plate" idea seems solid (sic). Might be able to cobble something like that. Thinking: The balance point of both scopes is now (fairly) predictable, and I can always drill more holes! Any "philosophical" points are welcome, so I take your point Gaz. I do suspect the MAK is indeed more "deserving" of the EQ3. One (previously undisclosed) problem is my health, so I prefer to have my setups in (wimpishly!) small chunks and prefer Alt-Az over additional counterwights in any "grab and go" setup. The EQ3 is also quite fun in Alt-Az mode (even!) - For sweeping with the wider field refractor. 'Tis true indeed, WH, one could/should slide refractor forward/backwards, but a short tube "Startravel" only just about fits between the rings, with little room for sliding... :p

I know, a tad (not deliberately so) "awkward" - I GENUINELY appreciate suggestions! The odd bit of "brainstorming" cannot goes amiss? Someone somewhere (me, even!) might learn something. Aside: Were I a rich man, I'd probably go for one of them Williams Optics' "Easy Touch" thingies, and stick one/both scopes on that. For the moment, I can but dream... :D

Archived