Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nearly electrocuted last night !!

I was merrily astroimaging on my webcam set up last night ( a few nice shots of the Moon - a couple of less successful ones of Jupiter but persevering) and then Double Star hopping between Cygnus and Castor - using a SkyMax Mak 127 on GoTo. I had just 'parked' the scope and unplugged the power cable from the GoTo mount when 'bang' - sparks flying, and house lights all went off. The power cable has just snapped and shorted everything out.

After resetting my main fuse box and getting her indoors back on Corrie on the TV I went to the GoTo power unit - the cable had severed at the fixed point on the adaptor and I then noticed, quite worryingly, that the plug end that goes into the mount was also split though had not completely severed.

Given that I've only had the scope since mid November 2010 - and been out with it less that a dozen times, I was a bit worried that the cable could split so readily ( and almost electrocuting me).

I've ordered a new power supply from ScopesnSkies ( only place I could find one) but I will also need a RCD to prevent future threat of electrocution.

Anybody got any advice on how to prevent a cable twisting/splitting when using a mains powered adapter conencted to a scope?:(

I cut the plug off the 12V mains adaptor and replaced it with a cigar extension socket (Halfords) then just use the normal 12V cigar/ 2.5mm plugs for all the astro gear. That way the mains adaptor stays in its waterproof box at ground level.....

The damaged 12V cable will have fried the electronics in the mains adaptor which in turn will have tripped the mains circuit breaker.

The 12V cable is thin and not not very strong so has to be treated with a bit of care.

All I can suggest is to carefully examine the cable for damage each time you use it.

Archived