Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Running before I can walk?

Robthevegetable

Hi all,

I've been wondering where to put this thread (and feel free to offer suggestions if you think I've posted in the wrong section)...

After my first viewing of Saturn last night (which blew me away, by the way) I decided I'd break out my SPC900 for the first time and see if I could get my first picture. The problem was that I couldn't get anything to appear in SharpCap, not matter where I pointed my scope or how it was focused I couldn't get even the faintest, out of focus blob to appear, let alone anything meaningful.

I'm wondering whether it's my level amateurishness (that should be in the dictionary for sure), or if I was doing something wrong? Is it worth me getting used to this process using something a little brighter (Lunar/Solar, for example (I already have the necessary filters to do this))?

The webcam has a UV/IR filter, and was secured to a 2x Barlow and into the eyepiece... Maybe I need a stronger Barlow?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Try your setup during the day first so you can check everything works and you get an image roughly in focus. Try with and without the barlow and note the focusser positions. It can be incredibly difficult to find the target at night with high magnification and a small CCD. I usually do not use the barlow first, just find the target and get some shots. Then introduce the barlow, refind the target and get some more. Without the mount tracking the target I'd get nothing! The moon is much easier!

Ah, never thought of trying it without the Barlow, it does make sense though! I'll try and get some pictures of the Sun at some point, which should be a lot easier to focus (and find). I think I need to work on getting my tracking working properly, no idea why is wasn't working (with the Celestron SkyAlign system you focus on 3 bright stars in the sky and it figures out your position, but after 2 'successful' alignments it thought the Orion nebula was pretty much 180 degrees from where it actually was)! Will try again when I have more time to try and get it working properly... I wasn't expecting instant results, but the lack of anything on the screen was a little disconcerting.

Thanks for the advice....

have you tried turning the gain right up and having a slow shutter speed - a big bright fuzzy blob is a bit easier to find, and can quite often throw light onto the chip even if its not in the camera FoV.

On the goto, you might want to check your date settings (very easy to put it in in UK format rather than US).

Helen

You mention the Celestron Solar filter... what type of filter is that ?

Be very careful trying anything with Solar... get it wrong and you/your equipment could be in big trouble.

I'd suggest it'd be better to have a go at the moon first, it's actually a much easier target.

Archived