Red Lights for my Motorhome

That's great Chris. Plus once you're properly dark adapted it's quite amazing how much you can actually see. I don't think you'll have any worries once you're there and get the hang of it.

One bit of advice - keep any outside furniture in a fixed position so you allways remember where it is - it helps. The number of times I've tripped over those blasted camping chairs......... lol :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I have modified a £3 Maplin LED torch by removing the 'white' LED and soldering in a low output red one. I have used some of the Maplins line tape (see post 53) to knock it back still further. In ordinary room lighting if you switch it on and look straight at it, it is difficult to tell if it's on or off. I will try it in the dark to see if its any use for setting up the scope :rolleyes:.

BTW adding a red filter to a 'white' LED light is a shame considering how difficult it is to make a white LED. As an LED emits light of only one wave length you cant get a white. So they get a blue one and coat it in phosphors or have several different LEDs in the same package. Like I said after they have gone to all that trouble adding a red filter......

In the mean time I have drawn all the blinds put all the white lights on in the motorhome and have gone around with a more or less adapted eye looking for chinks of light and I have found a few. Still I'm not going to a star party so it will do for now.

Hi Helen,

Thank you.

That's great Chris. Plus once you're properly dark adapted it's quite amazing how much you can actually see. I don't think you'll have any worries once you're there and get the hang of it.

One bit of advice - keep any outside furniture in a fixed position so you allways remember where it is - it helps. The number of times I've tripped over those blasted camping chairs......... lol :rolleyes:

Hi Bran,

We tend to put everything in the same place when we arrive on site in the RV. So hopefully I won't fall over anything! Famous last words!

Best regards

Chris

Hi George,

You need to be very careful with that cellophane and wrapping it around lights. I think you will find it is combustile and even low wattage low voltage bulbs can get very hot.

Best regards

Chris

You'd be amazed Chris - till I taped over the blue leds on my USB hub, I could have sat and read a book by them.

I'd suggest you take a roll of black insulation tape with you to cover up anything that takes you by surprise - it comes off easily enough after.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I think I will add black tape to my list.

I am also going to buy this as suggested by someone else:

Magic Blackout Sheets A1 10 Sheets

In case I need to cover up any windows of the RV. Whilst there won't be any lights on inside apart from very dim red strips, the Girls might want to watch the TV or a dvd so I need to be prepared for the worst!!

Best regards

Chris

Hi All,

Been away for a few days, but can confirm a lot of the bits I ordered have come in.

The red strip lights:

12v Red SMD 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light 5 Metre / 300 LED's .. 12v SMD 3528 Strip Light ..

Have arrived and I can confirm that with the dimmer control they dim down to almost nothing and when switched off and then back on, they come back to the same state as previous, which is great.

I pulled a little deal with this company.

The 5M strip light as shown above £35.00

Power Supply £10.00

Wireless dimmer £10.00

Same as these:

LED STRIP LIGHT DIMMER UNIT WITH WIRELESS CONTROLLER ** SIMPLE SOLUTION FOR MAKING LED STRIPS DIMMABLE **: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

3 sets at £45 each, total £135!

Very impressed by the lights and will be adding some diferent colour ones to my home. Very bright when needed!

Also received the torches from FLO which are supposedly the same as the Skywatcher ones on their website but made by Rigel. Unfortunately they are only red so of limited use and at the cost seem a bit pointless so they will be gong back.

Best regards

Chris

Also received the torches from FLO which are supposedly the same as the Skywatcher ones on their website but made by Rigel. Unfortunately they are only red so of limited use and at the cost seem a bit pointless so they will be gong back.

Are you sure Chris? They should have a wheel on the side, rotate it one direction for red LEDs, the opposite direction for white. The wheel also controls brightness. Rigel do make a red-only torch but I am sure we ordered only the dual-LED option :)

Are you sure Chris? They should have a wheel on the side, rotate it one direction for red LEDs, the opposite direction for white. The wheel also controls brightness. Rigel do make a red-only torch but I am sure we ordered only the dual-LED option :)

Hi,

Definitely only two leds rather than four in the skywatcher one.

Goes red when you turn the wheel both ways.

Best regards

Chris

Archived