Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It seems to me.....

magician

O.K. Groan now if you want to ! but yes this does concern the RA ring on the HEQ5,it seems to me that the set screw is in the wrong place, as you know it is set into the body of the mount,SURELY it should be set into the ring itself !, Captain Chaos has shown in his strip down why the thing doesn't work,(Sorry CC can't find the link now)But what about drilling and tapping a hole at the "0" Hrs point and putting the set screw in there ? this would mean the ring could be set,and locked, it would then rotate with the RA assembly,Have look at it and tell me what you think, I would like to hear from Arthur in particular(an engineers view)

Regards Frank

Correct Frank, and I did exactly that! However, be careful as it's soft metal (er, aluminium?) so it doesn't need much in the way of tapping.

Also, its not fantastically accurate, but should get you close!

:huh:OK...what have I missed. So there is a problem with the ra setting circle on the HEQ5? Havent actually got round to using the mount much since getting it. Can you enlighten me a bit more, with perhaps some nice step by step instructions :)

Cheers

Chubs

Hi Cubster,

You should be able to set the RA of whatever you want to view on the setting circle,lock it, and the move the 'scope until that Time/Angle lines up with the setting mark (The triangle) but ,if you lock the setting circle screw,the circle itself locks solid, are you with me so far ?, Now if you look at the DEC setting circle, and play about with it you will se that it can be set to wherever you like, and then you can lock it at that angle,if you now move the 'scope in Dec, you can move to the angle you have just set,because the ring moves, this is not happening with the RA cicrle,if the set screw for the RA circle is loosened it WILL move but, it only moves as and when it feel like,hence the need for some mod.,play about with the circles, and it will become pretty clear I'm sure, maybe your scope doesn't suffer from this snag,but as you have gathered both Daz and Myself (and who knows how many others )feel it needed seeing to, hope this helps. Cheers Frank.http://www.gas.uk.net/HEQ5/

Archived