Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces / Lenses

I've been looking at a lot of stuff on the dreaded Ebay recently, in particular the above. there are loads of adverts for Meade eyepieces of various size and barlows. People make a point of saying it's "manufactured in Japan" as opposed to China. Some people don't make any reference to the source and some people happily say chinese made. Is there any difference in quality ?? I was under the impression that Meade was an American manufacturer (albeit that a lot of their stuff is produced in Mexico !).

Has anyone bought any of these pieces that are made in China / Japan etc ?? are they original or fake ?? How do they perform ??

Any advice or comment would be appreciated before I consider a bid on one or 2 pieces.

It used to make a difference but I think China has closed the gap on Japan where budget eyepieces are concerned. Most of Meades eyepieces in that range we're originally made in Japan but we're then moved to China presumably because it was cheaper. The early Chinese models did not have as good a reputation (fairly or unfairly) as the Jap eyepieces they replaced.

You can tell that Chinese stuff is getting better all the time because some of the biggest Japanese names in binoculars such as Nikon and Olympus source some of their stuff from China. More and more astro gear comes from China; it may carry an American brand, but somewhere, often in small print, it may have "made in China" stamped on it. As a general rule, if something is very expensive, it isn't Chinese. If it's reasonably priced and doesn't say where it comes from, it probably is Chinese.

I think the Chinese/Japanese difference is an urban myth started by those who (after having paid regular prices for a collection of Japanese made Series 4000 eyepieces) were miffed when they saw a set offered for £99!

Meade switched manufacturing to China because it was cheaper; other than the 26mm Plossl (there is more than one version) I have been unable to see a difference.

If it were me, rather than pay extra for a Japanese model, I would take advantage of the way Chinese models sell for less...

Thank you for that, in view of some of the comments I ordered a new meade barlow lens on Ebay, it cost 25 quid and it arrived the next day. this is the first thing I've ever bought on an auction sight.

Unfortunately I can't test it until I get home but it looks the part if it's rubbish I will blame you all of course :)

Archived