Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new book

thanks guys, does the sky and telescopes pocket sky atlas have descriptions on each page saying what things are and does it talk about planets?

Nope, it just a set of sky maps, very good one though...

If you're wanting to learn about the planets, I guess old Prof Cox's wonders of the solar system book might be a good place to start.

I haven't read it myself, just a thought....

thanks guys, does the sky and telescopes pocket sky atlas have descriptions on each page saying what things are and does it talk about planets?[/quote

no mate its purely an atlas, but a very concise one and not that big.

I have got a copy of Altas of the Universe by Philip's. Very decent and does cover the solar system, thing is its pretty big. ;)

amazon.co.uk/Philips-Atlas-Universe-Patrick-Moore

i ordered collins pocket guide stars and planets but the book's too big to handle as im disabled and find heavy and bulky on my knee and it hard turning the page. are there any small books like the sky and telescope pocket sky atlas that's about planets in the solar system? if not, shall i go for the pocket sky atlas as im interested in stars and the planets are just discs of light viewed from earth anyway so a planet book wont help me much?

I'm currently enjoying the "Haynes Astronomy Manual: A Practical Guid to the Night Sky" or same such title. I've not a long way into yet though.

There is a book named "DK Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe" which I'm slowly making my way through which is very much an explanation about everything. It's not heavy reading but at the same time, they've not dumbed things down too much either.

I also bought Astronomy for Dummies which was as you would expect a light read!

As I was into Astrophotography also, I bought "Make Every Photon Count" also.

Can I recommend "Astronomy" by Ian Ridpath (Dorling Kindersley ISBN-13: 978 1 4053 1291 2) It IS pocket size and is absolutely crammed full of info. It includes in the first half of the book a good history section, overview of the universe and the phenomena that it contains (star classification and life, stellar life cycles, planets etc) A really good section on the solar system including comets and asteroids. In the second half, you get into the constellations, understanding charts and finally the maps themselves. Not really detailed enough to actually star hop to individual objects but certainly highlighting what there is to see with plenty of information. Lastly there is a monthly sky guide and almanac. It cost me £13.00 but I'm sure on Amazon you could find it cheaper.

Great little book, great little price and a very good read -does what it says on the tin!:(

James

Nope, it just a set of sky maps, very good one though...

If you're wanting to learn about the planets, I guess old Prof Cox's wonders of the solar system book might be a good place to start.

I haven't read it myself, just a thought....

I haven't read it either but someone told me it is currently half price in Sainsburys at the moment.

Archived