Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Irretrievable data

Hi Guys, I made the mistake of capturing some avis using an rgb24 format when I should have used yuv420. I used wxastrocapture. The avi's will not open in registax and won't play in windows media player. I read some posts that said there is nothing that can be done to the files. Could a different procesing programme other than registax be used that will open the files or is my data lost forever? I sure hope not, god knows if we will ever have a clear night again :).

I really hope there is something I can do as it was a great night in every other respect and I have now got a hard drive full of untouchable data.

Thanks and clear skies

Matt

I did that at one point... I tried all sorts to try and salvage the data but could find no way to convert it to a format I could use. I ended up throwing it away. There may be methods available now though, as it was a couple of years ago.

There may be methods available now though, as it was a couple of years ago.

Man, I hope so. It was such a wikid evening, I got so many avi's done. Then I got back in, realised my mistake and wept uncontrollably like a small child, gnashing and snarling at the entire world in my despair (well, possibly not the gnashing, or the snarling...or the weeping uncontrollably, but I was certainly non plused:o)

Hi Guys, I made the mistake of capturing some avis using an rgb24 format when I should have used yuv420. I used wxastrocapture. The avi's will not open in registax

Are you sure it's that way around? I thought they had to be in

RGB24 rather than YUV420 for some reason. In fact, I've just checked some files I pushed through Registax and they're all RGB24.

The only things I can think of that you might try is to use something like mplayer/mencoder to split the video up into separate frames in some format that Registax will read or to try AviStack.

James

Are you sure it's that way around? I thought they had to be in

RGB24 rather than YUV420 for some reason. In fact, I've just checked some files I pushed through Registax and they're all RGB24.

James

I think it depends what camera you're using, in my case it is definately yuv420 which is the appropriate one.

I'm starting to think those brave little avi's are lost to the ages...Forever!!!!:)

I'll give avistack a try but I've just got the feeling that I might have to abandon last night's efforts and hope there'll be another clear night before old age takes me in 50-60 years:icon_eek:

wxAstrocapture gives me the option of capturing either in YUV or RGB from my SPC880/900. I definitely chose the latter.

Allegedly avistack will read the YUV codec though.

James

With my b&w atik2-hs it's yuv I have to use, registax has no problems processing it but it won't let me use any of the RGB avi's. Wish me luck :)

Archived