Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In Blue?

Mav359

I found the attached light pollution map online (see attached), for the past year i have been looking at moving outside of london.

My primary motivation for moving out wasnt for astronomical reasons but i work in north london so i need to be able commute back and forth which means i cant get much further outside then the light blue areas.

No specifics but to anyone living in the light blue regions whats your skies like? i figure if im going to make the move i can make this another reason

Cheers ;)

post-22348-13387752618_thumb.jpg

I can't help you with that as I am lucky to live up in Lincolnshire, but there are more detailed light pollution maps here (Right hand side under section "Related documents") and from the map you can work out where all the towns are (light polluted areas - some are marked to give you a head start) and so where the best locations are. Use Street Map alongside the light pollution map and it becomes obvious where you want to target your new home to be.

I used these maps to work out where to drive to from my home town to squeeze out that little extra darkness.

Hi Mav,

I live in the light blue area just to the east of Lincoln. Apart from a few bungalows opposite, I have a pretty unrestricted sky south over the Witham valley and beyond and its great.Most clear nights the milky way is very obvious to the naked eye, I routinely get down to mag six or better naked eye.Sell a couple of your hyperions and get yourself a helicopter then you can live up here and commute back to London every day.

Cheers. John.

Archived