Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

parabolic mirrors

Hey all! Been looking for a upgrade from my £20 scope to something a bit better.

Initially I thought the celestron 130EQ was the one for me... but more research is now swaying me towards the skywatcher Explorer 130 series scopes.

is the extra £40 worth the parabolic mirror? and what does a parabolic mirror do for the end result.

Some of the cheaper telescopes have Spherical mirrors, and unless they are of sufficiently long focal lengths, they are unable to focus the parallel light from the stars.

The parabaloidal mirrors are spherical mirrors that have had their surface polished to deform the sphere to an accuracy that will focus parallel rays. This is of paramount importance when using higher magnifications on planets. Without the paraboloid, the image would blur badly. If you anticipate planetary observations, the opt for the Parabola scope.

Ron.

Some of the cheaper telescopes have Spherical mirrors, and unless they are of sufficiently long focal lengths, they are unable to focus the parallel light from the stars.

The parabaloidal mirrors are spherical mirrors that have had their surface polished to deform the figure to an accuracy that will focus parallel rays. This is of paramount importance when using higher magnifications on planets. Without the paraboloid, the image would blur badly. If you anticipate planetary observations, the opt for the Parabola scope.

Ron.

Brilliant, thats exactly what I needed to know!

Archived