no equipment gazing

can i identify jupiter and saturn as these are classed as visable to the naked eye afaik ?

is there a site that will give me a compass type heading and angle (azimuth ? ) and time to look ?

once spotting with the eye and simple instrutions as above would prob lead me to getting a scope ;)

i've viewed and tracked the iss in this manor many times

tia

Hello Lee, welcome to visual astronomy :p.

Both Jupiter and Saturn are easy to see unaided once you know where they are. At the moment, if clear, Jupiter is SSW , fairly low and slightly fainter than the ISS which you have already seen. Saturn does not rise untill the early hours at present so you would have either to stay up really late or get up early before daylight ;), take your pick!. Saturn will be available in the evenings as the year progresses. To keep up with these things, download Stellarium which is a good free planetarium programme.

hardly a Revelation but they say you learn something new every day and yesterday was that not all in the night sky that shines is a star bar the moon!

Jupiter is gleaming right now ;)

so what begineer scope would make it look more like a planet and not a star?

Archived