Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another first Jupiter

JB80

Hey all,

Here is my first try at Jupiter with my spc900 webcam and Skywatcher Explorer 150pl. The third pic is the one from last night and my eyes had had enough with my laptop and I posted it in the 'embarrassing jupiters' thread, but I think I like it the best.

This was totally unguided and after I ran it through castrator it cut it down to just over 600 frames, so next time I will try for more than double that if I can.

It was processed in registax and that's it, would like to see if I can get more colour out in PS if possible but not sure how.

All in all quite happy with my first go.

post-21042-13387752559_thumb.jpg

post-21042-133877525592_thumb.jpg

post-21042-133877525596_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I am actually ;)

Wanted to try and get a longer avi tonight but I decided not to brave the cold, I only get a short window in twighlight to see Jupiter before it ducks behind the trees.

was looking at jupiter tonight, but i can never really see the detail on the planet. more like a bright yellow/gold colour, can see all the moons too, what would i need to be able to see the bands round the planet? some kind of filter, or my scope just not powerful enough to get that detail? or the fact i need to zoom in with cam?

You have the same scope as I do and I only just had my best view of Jupiter last week so I know what you mean. I just bought a TAL X3 Barlow and used with a 15mm and 5mm eyepiece by itself I could see way more detail. The EP was a slight upgrade from the ones that came with the scope I bought this kit Sky-Watcher Eyepiece and Filter set (795) - Warehouse Express and they do make a difference.

I also think the conditions can make a lot of difference too.

Tbh I'm not sure about filters I haven't tried any, maybe someone else knows whats best. Although I do use one with the webcam.

Yeah, the 5mm is pretty much a step too far I really only used it once to get an idea and then switched to the 15mm and barlow, if you have the 6.3 and 7.5 there wouldn't be any need for the 5. The 2 and the 5 I have probably wont get used they just came with the kit.

The X3 is a really good addition, it makes a noticeable difference.

It's worth checking it out at least. I got mine from First Light Optics, they have them at a reasonable price and good service.

OK I have had a bit of a tinker in PS with my Jupiter and I think I have done alright with it. Probably have done too much?

Not sure but I quite like it.

post-21042-133877525893_thumb.jpg

hm maybe i should try a 3x barlow too, whats the 5mm EP like for viewing with the 150PL. is it not pushing the scope past its limits?

I've got a celestron omni 6mm and it works quite well. Obviously not a high end eye piece but I think it's as big as you want to go, or rather as little a hole as you want to look through.

That's a cracking image, btw. As a fellow PL user I'm pleased to see that this can be achieved.

Thanks guys for the comments:)

I was happily surprised at how well it turned out considering my methods need refining but it's a huge boost to go on further.

The PL just keeps on surpising me, I can't wait to see what else I can manage, I'm still just learning my way around it all.

I'm not sure maybe someone can correct me but with the SPC900 that is something like a 6mm eyepiece? It certainly has high magnification.

Archived