Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Acronyms

Hi all,

Bit of a silly newbie question, but I've been reading through a number of threads and keep coming across acronyms which I don't fully understand.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what some of the following are:

RDF

OTA

GEM (German Equatorial Mount) - is this the same as a normal equatorial mount or did the Germans do something different?

Also could someone explain what the difference is between some of these mounts: EQ2-3, EQ1, HEQ5?

Appologies again for the newbie question ;)

Regarding your question about Mounts basically is ever increasing quality and stability from 1 upwards. And of course increase in price.

From reading posts on this site and similar you will find numerous references to stability of the mounts. As the wieght of the scope increases the better quality the scope is that supports it and avoids vibration/wobble. Most punters consider EQ1/2 as being only viable for very light loads and even then perhaps not being ideal for the best viewing.

EQ3-2 upwards are definite improvments with EQ5/6 looking like items for serious gazers and those who want to do serious Astrophotography.

Not sure EQ1 has any fine adjustment for RA to track objects.

Regarding your question about Mounts basically is ever increasing quality and stability from 1 upwards. And of course increase in price.

From reading posts on this site and similar you will find numerous references to stability of the mounts. As the wieght of the scope increases the better quality the scope is that supports it and avoids vibration/wobble. Most punters consider EQ1/2 as being only viable for very light loads and even then perhaps not being ideal for the best viewing.

EQ3-2 upwards are definite improvments with EQ5/6 looking like items for serious gazers and those who want to do serious Astrophotography.

Not sure EQ1 has any fine adjustment for RA to track objects.

That makes sense. The mount that I'm using isn't the most stable of platforms (Celestron 675 newtonian) so I suspect it has either an EQ1 or EQ2 mount.

So what does the H in HEQ5 stand for?

Hi all,

Also could someone explain what the difference is between some of these mounts: EQ2-3, EQ1, HEQ5?

The difference between these is size, weight, type of bearings, and therefore payload.

EQ1 is the lightest of the Skywatcher equatorial mounts. It is mainly used for visual observing with small, lightweight OTAs.

EQ3-2 is heavier and larger than the EQ1 and can carry heavier OTAs more steadily. I have seen it rated to carry 7kg for visual observing and can have motors fitted to both axes. It can be used with a variety of handsets to autoguide or give GOTO functionality.

The HEQ5 has better bearings and is heavier than the EQ3-2 and is rated at 15kg (I think) for visual use. It can be used with the same handsets as the EQ3-2 to autoguide or give GOTO.

The EQ3-2 and HEQ5 can both be fitted with a polar alignment scope to help in getting the mount aligned with the north pole in order to track stars against the rotation of the earth.

Hope this helps.

Don't worry about asking newbie questions here. We all knew nothing once and asking questions accelerates the learning process ;)

The difference between these is size, weight, type of bearings, and therefore payload.

EQ1 is the lightest of the Skywatcher equatorial mounts. It is mainly used for visual observing with small, lightweight OTAs.

EQ3-2 is heavier and larger than the EQ1 and can carry heavier OTAs more steadily. I have seen it rated to carry 7kg for visual observing and can have motors fitted to both axes. It can be used with a variety of handsets to autoguide or give GOTO functionality.

The HEQ5 has better bearings and is heavier than the EQ3-2 and is rated at 15kg (I think) for visual use. It can be used with the same handsets as the EQ3-2 to autoguide or give GOTO.

The EQ3-2 and HEQ5 can both be fitted with a polar alignment scope to help in getting the mount aligned with the north pole in order to track stars against the rotation of the earth.

Hope this helps.

Don't worry about asking newbie questions here. We all knew nothing once and asking questions accelerates the learning process ;)

Thanks for that Angus, so the higher the number the more stable the mount will be (plus will usually cost more)?

So is a German equatorial mount different to other types, or is that just the term they go by?

Also what does the H in HEQ5 stand for?

Archived