Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A night of DSOs

george7378

Last night was a fantastically clear one (until about midnight), so I took the scope out to observe some DSOs. The objects I saw are:

- M1

- M42

- M44

- M51

- M67

- M78

- M81

- M82

- M108

- NGC 2024 (Flame nebula)

- NGC 3587 (Owl nebula)

I had to start with M42. I started at 48X, and observed the nebula in widefield - easily the best view I have ever had of it. Along with the main nebulosity, I also detected a substantial amount of fainter glow above the main object, mainly concentrated above and left of the main nebula. I could see lots of tiny mottled dark regions on the cloud of gas, and both of the curving arms were laced with some dark nebulosity too, along with a noticable 'slice' taken out of the top of the top of the main nebula. It really was a feast for the eyes, and I cannot describe how intricate the whole thing looked. I was able to zoom in to a glorious 240X magnification, where the detail was just mind-blowing - the trapezium showed six stars easily without averted vision, and I could stare straight at the E anf F stars without any problems. Looking at the pillar of dark nebulosity at such high magnification was almost emotional - it looked just like in the photos I have seen, with wispy tendrils lacing it, standing out against the glow of the nebula. I couldn't believe I was still on Earth - it was the most amazing view of a DSO I have ever had. I couldn't stop returning for another look - the quiet of the night, with the occasional owl hooting in the distance was very special.

With M1 favourably placed, I took a look at it starting out at 48X. As it slid into the field of view, it was immediately visible as the familiar glowing oval imprinted on the sky. I could see the shape without averted vision, and the rich star fields were really a treat. Although M1 doesn't seem to take magnification too well, I got a good look at 120X, where the shape was brighter than I have ever seen it before. Another perfect viewing on a perfect night.

Next, I searched out the Owl Nebula. I found it easily at 48X (my first viewing of the object), and when I came across it, I thought I had found M81 with M82 - the nearby galaxy M108 was a surprise when it turned up in the same field of view. The Owl was a perfect circle which was bigger and brighter than I thought it would be, and when I viewed it at 120X, averted vision revealed the defining dark patches which give it its name. The object took magnification very well, and although I didn't use the full 240X, I got some very nice, contrasty views - it is like a spectral marble in space. Of course, I looked at M108 too, and the cigar shape represented M82 very nicely. I didn't spend long on the object, but I am intrigued as to whether the subtle dust lanes will be visible. I used 120X to look at the lovely shape, bringing out more of it with averted vision. I just love the way galaxies look so ghostly and distant against the dark sky - it is lovely to listed to the quiet of the night with the million-year-old light from these silent star cities entering your eyes...

Next, I did turn to M81 and M82, and the shapes of each were clearly visible in the finderscope. The real view came when I looked at them at 48X magnification - M81 showed off its usual spherical core, with some tenuous, faint nebulosity around the outside. I am still yet to see any spiral structure in this galaxy, but the large size of the disc, and the lovely faint halo make it beautiful all the same! M82 was the real treat, with a beautifully sharp outline in the sky. I couldn't resist increasing the magnification to 120X, and bringing out the contrast even more - the galaxy takes magnification very well, and seemed not to lose any definition at this magnification. I could then see the most prominent dust lane easily with averted vision, giving the massive glowing cigar even more structure. I couldn't help putting in the 5mm eyepiece, and I am so glad I did - I got my closest view of a galaxy ever - the edge-on ghostly apparition stretched across the whole field of view, and I could see even more structure in the dark dust lanes - I think I saw up to three individual dark regions in the middle of the disc. There were a few stars there too, and I tried to imagine just how far behind them the galaxy was - it just looks so close when you bring it up with 240X magnification. The shape was still beautifully clear and I could explore the whole object as it stretched across the view.

I have wanted to view M51 ever since I got my new scope, and tonight, I took the chance. It is still low down and the conditions were less than ideal, but I still got the most amazing view. I could immediately see the two cores, and when I used 48X magnification to observe the larger one, I could definiely see the surrounding glow of the arms. I could see a hint of spiral structure with averted vision, but nothing immediate. I know that I will need to look again later when it is higher up in the sky to see the arms properly, but the quick look I had definitely puts me in high hopes for the future - it was the most galaxy-ish galaxy I have ever seen! High magnification views, here I come...

After another nice look at M42, I looked for some other new nebulae in Orion - M78 and NGC 2024. M78 was easy to find by sweeping the sky near Orion, and looked very small when I found it. While it doesn't measure up to the Orion nebula in beauty, it was nice to see the tiny diffuse patch where I have never seen it before with this scope. I think a very dark sky is needed to appreciate the intricacies of this object. The flame was very hard to observe visually, and I have failed on my previous attempts. I got Alnitak in the field, and I immediately saw the nebula which I have missed so many times before. It was very hard to observe because of the glare of the star, but I could see at least two sections of nebulosity separated by a dust lane - it was harder to view when I centred it because of the glare of the star. I am very keen to see the horsehead next!

I ended the evening with some clusters in Cancer, starting with M67. This is another new object for me, and it was very nice through the finder, and the telescope. There were some significant bright stare surrounded by a halo of dimmer ones in a nice tight gathering. M44 was specacular as always, and I couldn't fit the whole thing in to the FOV, even at 48X. I explored the loose region of bright stars looking out for interesting doubles.

The images of the amazing objects I saw tonight are still going through my head - I really want to get out again this weekend!

Excellent report George,.

Yes when you get a good transparent night it really fuels the enthusiasm.

I too have found m1 doesn't seem to take magnification well.

Well done on seeing the owls eyes-& first time round too! They can be rather tricky & i can't say i've ever seen them. ;)

I agree m51 is a most "galaxy-ish galaxy"

Happy hunting!

Super report. I didn't see as much as you last night, but I also got my best ever view of M1. I was at 48x magnification and it was super clear.

I did have another look for the Owl, but it the north is light polluted for me so I could only just see it. M51 I cannot wait to look at with this scope, but much too low for me. Roll on summer.

Did you have a look for some of the other galaxies in the M81/82 group? There are some quite obvious ones close by.

Thanks for the replies - I really enjoyed writing it.

Did you have a look for some of the other galaxies in the M81/82 group? There are some quite obvious ones close by.

I didn't - which ones are you thinking of? I have only ever seen M81 and M82 in that area. I am beginning to wish I knew about SN2011b too - I would have taken a look at that. Maybe it will clear up again...

Archived