Ninian Boyle Basic Astronomy Course

Hi

Has anyone done this?

Is it worth getting?

I was thinking it would be good for My eldest and myself to work through together and become more competent.

If its rubbish, any suggestions?

Its more about getting better with our starter scope so when we upgrade we will really reap the benefit.

Thanks

Rich

Hi

Has anyone done this?

Is it worth getting?

Rich

Hard to say when you don't give any details on cost or what you get for your money !

Personally, there are so many good books and DVD's around that you might be better off with that approach...

This is the course

Course: Basic Astronomy with a Telescope

its £67, I have looked at courses at Huddersfield Astronomy Club, but that woud be expensive for me and the eldest.

As far as I can tell West Yorks doesn't do a course, and they didn't answer any of my emails asking which I have to say I found dissapointing (although I equally accept the email could have gone straight to junk mail)

What I'm looking for is a good grounding in telescope use, and then navigating our way around the sky.

We have turn left at orion which is brilliant, but our telescope skills may be a bit lacking.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Jamie,

Your probably right, but our local club is West Yorks, based in Pontefract and they meet on a night that is not good for us.

However I have emailed them a couple of times to see if there are meetings on other days and if they do begineers courses etc.

Never heard a peep back.

I was dissapointed, but my eldest was gutted by that.

So I thought I would try other ways of gaining information.

Rich

You can rely on Ninian Boyle to give good information. He used to run

Venturescope near Chichester, but is now associated with the Widescreen

Centre in London. I've met him when we both stayed at Fieldview Astronomy

B&B in N Norfolk.

Regards, Ed.

That's very poor of the local AS not to of contacted you. Keep a look out to see if they do public start parties, and if so pop along to one. You'll find most members will want to answer all the technical questions you might have, and you'll be able to see different scopes along side each other.

Failing that, I'm sure there must be someone near to you who can meet with you and take you under their wing so to speak.

You could also come along to a star party. We've got one organised for 31 March - 2 April just outside Hereford. On the Friday and Saturday we are organising lots of hands-on sessions, with a particular emphasis on helping beginners get to grips with their equipment. Star parties are also a great opportunity to just chat around astronomy and kit.

We're looking to get the formal booking system up next week (there'll be an announcement when it goes live).

There's a thread here about SGL6 http://stargazerslounge.com/sgl-announcements-events/102797-sgl6-dates.html.

Helen

Hi Rich - from a fellow newbie, I've found spending time surfing through the VAST quantity of information on this forum has helped me no end!

As you say you've already got your starter 'scope, I'd spend time trying to find a really dark site to use it and then attend SGL6 as Helen suggests (that's what I'll be doing) to get some friendly assistance and a chance to have a peep through other peoples' kit!

Whatever you do - wish you clear skies!

Archived