Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Denkmeier Binoviewers owner comments

Anyone out there using Denkmeier Binoviewers? I am keen to hear how they perform and what eyepiece combinations you use? Also has anyone upgraded from Standard Denks to Denk IIs? Is there a big difference in performance and do you think they ae worth the difference?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Hello JAO.

I use a Denk "Big Easy" binoviewer, the lower end of the Denk range. I use it for lunar and planetary obs. I find that they enable me to see fine detail more easily than single eyepieces and with greater comfort. Their advantages over lower priced binoviewers include larger prisms that don't reduce the field of low power eyepieces and the "optical correction system" that enables you to reach focus on most telescopes without significantly increasing the basic magnification. Because of the expense involved with having to purchase pairs of eyepieces I stick to decent quality Plossl's. A downside can be the combined weight which can introduce balance issues with alt-az mounted Newts or focuser loads on refractors or SCT's. They are not recommendable for other than the brightest DSO's because of light loss in the beamsplitter assembly.

Peter

Many thanks for this helpful information. I would like a set for lunar and planetary work. I did try a cheap pair of Chinese binoviewers but found them a bit disappointing partly because I had to use a barlow to bring them to focus on my scopes. Your expianation of the Denk OCS suggests I might be able to get away with lower powers. I expect the Denk Standard is similar to your Binoviewer?

In terms of eyepieces and the additional expense I was thinking about Televue Plossls.

Thank you again

Adrian

Archived