NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Night with new toys

A McEwan

Hi all,

It's been a while since I had a really good clear night with excellent seeing, so I took advantage of tonight to try out some new equipment:

Axiom LX 23mm eyepiece (82 degree)

TS 90mm ED Triplet Apo

6mm no-name Japanese volcano-top Orthoscopic

I wanted to see how the Axion compared to my Vixen LVW 22mm, and also how it fared as my replacement low-power eyepiece for the sold Pentax XW30.

I started off on Orion of course, and used the Axiom to look at the Great Orion Nebula region. The Axiom gives just 26x and a 3.15 degree field in the 90mm Triplet. First thing I noticed - I can see colour! The nebula is green - definately! It's been so long since I looked at it that I'd fogotten how striking this can be! Second obervation of note, the trapezium is split easily into the four main components and the seeing is excellent. The wings of nebulosity are bright and wide and the dark regions stand out very dramatically.

I moved the scope to see if the trap would stay resolved at the extreme edge of field. It did, but a small amount of refocusing was required. The split was still very good though and the stars did not disintigrate into elongated lines. There was some false colour at the very edge of field though.

The astigmatism that I experience with low power views (and by definition large exit pupils) was much improved in the Axiom compared to my Pentax XW30. It seemed to be more easily corrected and a fine focus point was easier for me to find. This is not a reflection on the Pentax XW30 itself, but on my interaction with the eyepiece and how my eye works with it. I found the Axiom's view to be more comfortable than I remember with the Pentax.

I used the Vixen LVW22 as a comparison. False colour at the extreme edge was about the same. The sky darkness and contrast were about the same. Field flatness was a bit better in the Vixen, noticeably so with no refocusing required when the trapezium drifted to the extreme edge. The field did look noticeably smaller though (68 degree afov vs 82 degree - true field 2.5 deg vs 3.18 deg) and the view through the Axiom was definately more majestic and immersive.

I found the best position for the adjustable eyecup to be raised just a few mm so that the entire field was easily visible for me with little repositioning during viewing.

Other parts of the Orion region offered excellent comparison views too. The Flame Nebula was readily visible tonight and the views were pretty similar through either eyepiece, though with the Axiom offering a slightly more "wow" view simply because of the presentation of the object within the wider field. M78 likewise. All objects showed their best views in my 13mm Nagler T6, but that's to be expected with its higher magnification.

I really like the Axiom and wonder just how it compares with a real Nagler 22mm T4 or 26mm T5? I'm very happy with it but I wonder now will I really need my Vixen LVW22mm any more?

While viewing the Trapezium, I used the 6mm Ortho to zoom in for 100x on the main trapezium stars. The E star was readily apparent and the F star came and went, though as viewing continued it tended to stay more and go less! I considered that through a 90mm scope (albeit a triplet Apo) with a cheapo 6mm Ortho at only 100x to be pretty impressive!

Splitting Rigel was so easy it felt almost unfair and I was tempted to rub dirt into the lenses just to make it a bit more of a challenge...

So, a couple of hours under pristine skies using new (and new-ish) equipment - some cheap, some pricey, but all purchased as "bargains" has left a huge grin on my face. I'm completely happy with all these recent purchases and highly recommend the Axiom 23mm as a low-power wide field eyepiece. It's quite ergonomic and comfortable too (I forgot to mention - NO kidney-beaning or blackouts).

Next test - the Flextube Auto 300P, hopefully not on a work night!

Ant

Nice report Ant :)

You were getting some great performances from your new kit - to spot E & F trapezium with 90mm of aperture (darn nice aperture though !) is pretty good going :(

Sounds like the Axiom LX is another great contender in the premium, ultra-wide niche - it's getting kinda crowded in there compared to a few years ago when the Nagler was the only player. Thats got to be good for us "consumers" :confused:

Ant

Excellent report. I am particularly interested in your comments about the Axiom. I am missing an ocular at this sort of fl so will add the 23mm to my list to follow up on. You are obviously having better skies than we are in East Anglia. I haven't had chance to try my dual scope set up on my new rings and plate yet.

Adrian

Thanks. I do like the Axiom 23. I hope I got across that it's not perfect, but it's pretty close and very comfy to use. What failings there are are very minor - especially given the price comparison with a Nagler for example. I got mine for £150 used off ABS, so it has to count as a good investment.

Adrian, tonight's the first great night in ages! Today was he first sunny day in nearly two weeks too. I'm sure you'll enjoy that twin setup when the weather improves.

Archived