Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is an Erecting Prism diagonal worthwhile?

JonH

I'm putting together a shopping list for my next scope and mount purchase - a refractor on an alt-az mount (probably the new SW Skytee 2), and wondered if a an Erecting Prism diagonal would make life easier for manual star-hopping. It seems like a good idea to me, but what do you seasoned observers think?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

I'd say No. The degredation on astronomical targets has always been very noticeable to me. I really hankered after seeing the moon the right way on so as to follow my Rukl atlas but the price was far too high optically. However, by day they seem fine.

I did have an ST80 on the Dob as a finder, with 45 degree prism. I really liked it but the guests never got on with it, being used to being upside down, so I removed it.

You could always star hop and then switch, I suppose.

Olly

I have a Celestron prism at the moment. It's noticeably worse than a Tele Vue everbrite mirror. However, I imagine that a Takahashi prism would show less degradation than the Celestron. $129 versus $29.

Jon I have used a correct image 9x50 Orion finder for many years - it makes star hopping much easier.

I also use an erecting prism on my William Optics SD66 with a 25mm EP. I have the original SkyTee dual mount and use the WO SD66 as the finder with the 4" APO as the main scope.

Olly is correct that a normal star diagonal provides a better view but the advantages in finding objects having the correct view to your star atlas, especially trying to find faint DSOs, makes an erecting diagonal worth it IMHO.

Mark

Archived