NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Netbook to EQ5 - problem with connection

bamus

Hi All

Yesterday I have tried to connect my Samsung n150 Netbook with my EQ5 Synscan GO TO mount. Unfortunately, no success L

As I haven’t any serial ports I have bought USB to RS323 adapter on eBay. Then I have downloaded ASCOM Platform and EQASCOM drivers. After installing everything and connecting mount with Netbook I tried to run EQSetup script, but software was not recognizing any connection with mount.

I think there are possible scenarios:

- Extra drivers needs to be downloaded?

- Win 7 Starter is not working with ASCOM drivers?

- Cheap USB to RS 232 adapter is not working properly.

Any other ideas? Have you got any solutions to my problem?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Brg

Adam

I had a quick look on this:

EQMOD

and I think I have been usinig option 2 which would not work without EQDIRECT.

I think I have to use option 1. I was not considering it before because I have seen

Celestron name, and my mount is SW.

99% of these type of problems is with a poor Serial > USB adaptor.

Prolific chip sets seem to work well as does the Keyspan adaptors (I've used a couple of them for the last five years on all sorts of software and hardware without issue.)

Try and check that the adaptor you have is up to the job.

Find out from 'control panel/system/device manager' (not sure what the location is in W7) what COM port number the system has assigned to the USB/serial dongle. Use that number in the EQMOD setup so it can find the mount. Always use the same USB socket for the USB/serial dongle or it will re-assign the COM port number. As mentioned before, some USB/serial dongles are problematic. These have a good reputation:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

I had an issue like this when I first tried EQASCOM. After some advice from Chriss Shillito at the EQASCOM project, I downloaded and installed the latest EQASCOM version(v1.22j) because if you click on the blue ASCOM logo a popup trace window appears and you can see, along with other information, the COM port data (if there is any). It turns out that I needed to get the latest drivers for the Prolific serial->usb adaptor once installed everything worked a treat.

I hope this helps.

Mark

EDIT: Oh and I used the device manager in Windows control panel to select the COM ports I wanted. E.g. COM3 for EQMOD and COM7 for my GPS mouse.

ok, I know that adapter is working as I have managed to gain control over the mount with Stellarium + stellarium scope, but guide software and eqascom still does not want to know that connection is available. not sure where my misteake is. any idea?

solution found! just had to change settings in hand control to PC Direct mode.

thank you anyway for all your help. hope tomorrow will be clear night, so I will have chance to do first guiding ever :)

Archived