Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What magazine?

Hi there - I was wondering if there were any common opinions on what the best astronomy magazine is. I know there are lots, but is there one which is the preference for relative beginners?

I know the interwebs is a pretty good source of info these days (!) but it's still nice to have something to flick through every now and again....

Hi there - I was wondering if there were any common opinions on what the best astronomy magazine is. I know there are lots, but is there one which is the preference for relative beginners?

Personally I'd recommend buying both Sky at Night and Astronomy Now for an issue or two if poss and see which one you prefer.

And check if there are any offers online, some mags will do three issues or more at a pound an issue as a trial, though I think you need to remember to cancel if you decide not to carry on at the normal rate after that.

I like both AN and SAN and get one, the other, or both each month. SAN is a little lighter on technical content and tends to have more adverts, but it has a great center page pull out of what's up in the sky each month. The reviews are often dubious.

AN has a slightly heavier content and seems aimed at the more serious astronomer, the reviews seem a tad more thorough, and it too has a good center page guide.

I like them both depending on my mood for the month lol :)

I'm still not settled on magazine yet , bought Astronmy from the airport last week and tbh it lost me in parts . Im looking for a beginners mag if there is such a thing ?

I would suggest "The Sky at Night" then - you'd probably get on better with that for a few months. It has a wider appeal I think and frequently has articles on telescope choices, elementary techniques for using mounts/scopes, and astrophotography.

Plus it has a disk with the SAN program with Sir Patrick and various other features like photo albums, videos on latest developements, etc.

Hope that helps :)

Something else I've found very interesting, useful and free (!) is the "Look Up" online magazine - Look Up! | The Free Astronomy Magazine

You can either download it, or read it on ISSUU (Issuu - You Publish). You get a really cool magazine, page turning like experience on this site. It's quite cool! You can sign up using a Facebook account too, so one less username/password to remember.

Oh, and all their back issues are available too, which means plenty of material for beginners like me to digest!

Thanks for those links Enrico, have had a look and bookmarked for future reference :)

Have bought S&N and Astronomy Now, I like both and the centre pull out of highlights for each month are great even when using Binos. Some of the more technical articles even begin to make sense after reading a few times and searching on topics here at SGL.

Archived