Best EP with better FOV for my 127 MAK?

Hi all

What is the best low power EP with a really good FOV for looking at Deep Sky observations for my 127 MAK? I have a 24mm Baader Hyperion but was told to get something else. I know the MAK is not a deep sky scope but Im trying to make my seeing better.

Thanks

Ken

If your looking for the widest field of view in 1.25" look no further than the Panoptic 24mm. But you already have the 24mm Hyperion so is it worth spending £250 on an ep which is only getting you a bit more FOV that money could nearly get you an 8" Dob.

I thought the 24mm Panoptic had the same field of view as the Hyperion 24mm - 68 degrees ?.

I think that's as wide as you can go in the 1.25" format.

A 32mm plossl will produce lower magnification but won't show any more sky.

unless you plan on changing your eyepieces the 10" dob will give you pretty much the same fov as the mak127, the dob can take 2" eyepieces but you will need to think expensive due to the focal ratio to get the best results, the 8" would be more forgiving on eyepieces

mak is 1500

Dob is 1200 in 10 and 8

Mak fov in 24 1.09

Dob fov in 24 1.36

so its larger but its the 2" eye pieces that will make the difference

The 36mm hyperion would give you 2.16 in either dob and you can do wider still, a 41 panoptic gives 2.32

for real wide field binos or small refractors/reflectors are great

I used to use a threaded focal reducer on my mak 127, astro engineering do one or you have options for addng an sct thread and using a sct reducer to decrease your focal length and there for increase your fov

The 8" dob would give a significant boost on the deepsky. A more aperture and a much faster focal ratio = much better DSO experience. Plus the 8" will work (not perfectly but more than acceptable) with some of the cheaper 2" options available. A 2" 32mm 70deg is going to give a very pleasant low power experience.

You can coax upto 1.4-1.5 (maybe more) degrees of (visual) TRUE field of view out of a MAK127 with a 2" diagonal (via adaptor) - Idem others members of the MAK family... which come with integral 2" capability. :)

It's certainly NICE to view (frame) objects in the slightly larger field. Moreover, 30-something mm, 70-something degree, eyepieces are readily available. Truth be told though e.g. a 24mm 68 Deg Hyperion works almost as well (Idem the 24mm Antares). Both are a bit more "exciting" than a 32mm Plossl too. ;)

True Wide fields are doubtless the domain of a shorter focal length scope though... :)

I use to attach a Meade 0.63 reducer to my Skymax using the SCT thread adapter. Lowers the focal length to 945mm, drops the focal ratio to 7.6 and increases the true field of view with the Hyperion to 1.74deg.

Archived