NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explorer 200P on a Celestron CG-5 mount

Guys (and gals),

Would like your opinion on a proposed custom build. I was looking for an Explorer 200P on a EQ-5 pro goto mount, but these are currently out of stock (as is my 1st choice a C6-sgt goto). However the sales guy has offered to supply the 200P on a Celestron CG-5 goto mount and tripod, for about £100 more than the E200P/EQ5 goto combo. Is this a good option. How does the EQ5 mount compare to the CG5 mount ?

The CG5 uses servo motors on the drive, the EQ5 uses stepper motors... which are better ??

Comments welcome.

Malcolm

I can't really answer your question from experience but from what I have read on here the CG-5 mount is VERY noisy. 'Coffee grinder' has been one description of it. Although I do believe the bearings are better.

I would probably be willing to wait the short time for the EQ5 to come back in stock and get that.

The bearings are same these days, but the CG5 has the better tripod. 2" steel legs for the CG5 v 1.75" for the EQ5. The castings for the head and the bearings are identical. So any difference in load capacity comes down to the tripod alone. But with the legs fully retracted, as it will be for a newtonian, there will be very little gained by the 2" legs. I know others disagree, but i think the 12.5kg is a bit optimistic for the CG5, especially for an imaging rig.

The CG5 has a far more streamlined look to its GOTO system, with everything built into the mount and handset. While the EQ5 has cables and boxes everywhere, like the GOTO was an afterthought. But the EQ5 Pro motors are in a completely different league to the CG5. I just couldn't live with my CG5 GT. The noise bounced off the walls of nearby houses and sounded awful in the dead of night. Perhaps sounded worse than it was but i wasn't comfortable using it after 11pm.

The motor's on the cg-5 are very noisey. If you are doing late night observing/imaging neighbours could get a bit peeved. The celestron goto software has a few nice features on it that the Skywatcher eq5 doesn't and the CG5 has a 2" leg tripod (I think that's where the greater load capacity comes from).Is it worth the extra £100? I wouldn't say so,I'd sooner get the EQ-5 and an eqdir (eqmod) cable and run the mount direct from the laptop/pc.Or stretch the budget and get a HEQ5.

I had the same set up (eq5 and cg5) and if anything the eq5 looked the larger more robust head? I may be wrong but I think that the CG5 also uses bearing on it's RA and DEC don't know if the new EQ5 does...maybe a quick google will help you there.

200P is a great scope make sure it's one of the new ones with a crayford focuser and direct mounting for DSLR'S

Cheers Fella

Matt.

Thanks guys

One comment was that the CG-5 has 2" legs and is more sturdy... but the noise thing is one that does bother me. The EQ-5 sounds a lot more of a "professional" bit of kit.

I'll think I'll wait and opt for the E200P / EQ-5 combo to come in...

Uhmmm that looks a solid mount... but still on 1.5" legs... seems a lot of scope and mount on legs that look like they hardly can support it.

I'm erring towards the 200P / EQ-5 goto - the HEQ5 looks a bit heavy and I already have a back problem....

Depends what you want to do mate, if it's purely visual then eq5 all the way, if you want to go into imaging and guiding you really are pushing the eq5 weight wise and a HEQ5 would be the way to go, it's only heavy with the weights on...so you can take them off, plus it's got the illuminated polar scope which is needed if you plan to do imaging.

I'm more than happy with my HEQ5/200P combo, if anything I will be buying a smaller refractor for doing widefield shots.

Any questions mate drop me a pm and I'll try and help you.

Also be aware mate that the 200p is a big old chunk of scope!

How about dropping the scope size down to the 150PDS instead and upping the mount to the HEQ5 Syntrek. The HEQ5 isn't as heavy as it looks, in fact it's no more effort than the EQ5 to be honest. The EQ6 on the other hand is a monster.

Thanks for all the feedback, I've opted for a 200P on an EQ5 pro goto package, which, if the info is correct should be with me within the next two weeks :) The step up from the EQ5 to HEQ5 was just a bit too steep, and as most of my imaging will be casual and via web cam or possibly using my Olympus E500 DSLR body without the use of guide scopes etc felt that I wouldn't need the added stability and weight carry capacity the HEQ offered.

Malcolm

Archived