Cleaning the equipment

hii,

I am just wondering what everyone could recommend to use for cleaning the mirror on my dobsonion and my eyepieces, I have the hyperions so fairly large lenses!

I know cleaning the mirror is not recommended but it needs cleaning!

For the eyepieces I'd recommend the Baader Optical WOnder fluid and micro fibre cloth:

Misc’ - Baader Optical Wonder Fluid

I know it costs a bit but your eyepieces cost loads more and the kit will clean them many times.

For the mirror - it has to be really dirty to be worth cleaning, not just a bit dusty. If you have to do it then distilled water and 100% pure cotton wool balls applied with virtually no pressure at all, discarding the balls after each sweep then rinse with distilled water and leave to dry.

Google will throw up lots of info on cleaning mirrors but, as I say, only if it's really dirty.

I agree with John on the mirror. see my attached images - the clean one and dirty one were taken at the same time and show different angles of light down the tube. I have no intention of cleaning my mirror yet.

Re eyepieces, the Baader fluid is often raved about. Never tried it but might one day. The 'clean only when really necessary' policy applies to eyepieces too.

I always use a blower first, then a bit of isopropyl alcohol on one of those cotton round pads cut into four (I use a corner) and dab with little/no pressure to clean off any grease or marks. usually this takes a few goes but take your time and use a decent light and you'll be fine.

post-17776-133877522648_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877522656_thumb.jpg

I've noticed a couple of big bits of dust on the primary of my dob. You could see them clearly in my photos of the sun and full moon. I was thinking of lowering an air hose down scope to try clear it. Suppose that's the best way.

If you can see dust in your images it's not from the primary, it'll be close to your CCD/Camera. Usually within a few mm, dust on the primary isn't brought to a focus.

Rob.

Archived