Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

With These Requirements Can You Advise?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is an important distinction between GoTo and autoguiding. A GoTo mount will find celestial objects for you and when it has done so, it will track them very well for visual use, often keeping the chosen object in the eyepiece for hours BUT this is not good enough for the long exposure times required to capture most deep sky objects. Unless you spend very serious money on your mount, your images will display star trailing caused by the mount failing to track accurately enough through what is known as Periodic Error (PE). PE is caused by minor inaccuracies in the manufacture of the gear systems that drive the mount and are called 'periodic' as they occur at regular points during the cycle of the worm drive. Other errors can be introduced by weight shift, binding, wind and atmospheric effects.

To ensure that the mount tracks very accurately, a feedback loop is required that checks to see if the chosen object has moved on the camera's sensor and a common way of doing this is to use a second telescope (the 'guide 'scope ') attached to the mount with the imaging 'scope with a guide camera checking to see if any movement is detected and then correcting it. This feedback loop is called 'autoguiding'.

Hi Steve,

So what you are saying is the Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider is all I need rather than the goto?

Or do I need both for full automation?

Best regards

Chris

The bonus with an EQ6 over and EQ5 is that if you decide to go for a larger scope or even decide to start mounting dual scopes with guide camera's and so on. You won't have to worry about overloading it.

With regards to the book, my mistake, thought you were looking for a free version lol.

You'd be surprised how many ask as they don't want to pay the small price for what is a really good informative book!

Hi Starblazer, no problems. I am happy to buy and often pay the same and sometimes more for eReader/pdf books. It is just the convenience factor I want. But no matter I will be ordering Steve's book in hard copy. Sooner here in my mits the better!!

Also you will require a way to power the mount so a decent powertank may well be required.

Yes I was beginning to understand that would be a necessary part of the equation. Having said that, when in the RV I will obviously have access to power. But will be safer than sorry by ordering a powertank.

Best regards

Chris

You need both, Chris if you want full automation

Hi Steve,

Thanks for coming back to me.

So based on my previous statement above I need the following:

Skywatcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro Outfit

Along with the EQ6 and goto.

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA

Guide cameras - Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider

I should then be totally automatic and ready to go!!!

If this is the case then I will start reading up on these products to see if I can understand them a bit better.

Oh I have ordered the book and look forward to a good read. In the meantime I have now bought A Short History Of Nearly Everything and will start on that.

Best regards

Chris

Archived