Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie's First Light!

NickMilner

There's probably a protocol for reporting this kind of thing so apologies for just winging it...

The SW Explorer 200P arrived yesterday, through the thick fog. Tonight it's cold here in Manchester but the fog has gone. There's also whispy high cloud that almost obscures everything. But up there towards the South-West there's a bright light that isn't twinkling too badly. Methinks it's Jupiter which has to be a good first target - there's no sign of the moon from my back garden tonight.

So, I find it quite easily in my finder, but of course the finder isn't aligned to the scope so that doesn't really get me very far. Somehow I managed to find it quite quickly in the scope so I immediately took the initiative and used it to align the finder. So that's that done (for now).

Popped in the 25mm and there it was! Small, but with distinct red banding. I could hardly believe it. :) I then tried the 25mm but getting a sharp image was quite difficult so I decided to put it away. I then accidentally put my thumb right on the lens thinking the cap was on. Doh! :/

However, I didn't let it spoil the moment. I popped in the 2x Barlow with the 25mm again and it was much better. I even saw three of the Galilean moons! :D One was diagonally below to the right, and two were diagonally above to the left - all in a straight line.

And then it disappeared over a rooftop and was gone.

Can't believe I put my thumb on the 10mm lens though. Pfft. Ah well. :evil1:

Nice little report. Sounds like you had a great first light night. If your brave and don't mind getting up early have a go for the other giant of the solar syatem Saturn. You sholud be able to observe the rings as they are quite open now.

Dave...

There was a short break in the cloud over Manchester again tonight so I set the scope up as quickly as I could, given that I don't have much experience as yet. I pointed the tripod north (using the compass on my phone), attached the mount, put it in home position, attached and balanced the OTA - less than 5 minutes from beginning to end. I dare say there's a lot more to it if you want to photograph things but for now I've not even looked through my polar scope!

I couldn't resist Jupiter again and this time I could clearly see it through the 10mm, even through the thumbprint I put on it the other night! :) I could see all 4 G-moons and more still (other moons or distant stars I cannot tell - any ideas?)

The cloud started to close in again so I quickly checked out M42 (just as the whole constellation was covered up) and then M45. I couldn't detect any nebulosity around M42 but I barely had any time to see it - there'll be many more nights. :)

Sounds like you are having fun with your new scope. Did you try the 10mm and the barlow? I had the same eye piece combination as you on my first scope and I got a 66 degree 6mm eye piece. I think it was skywatcher - had a gold band around it. Anyway, it only cost about £30 new and I see them for sale second hand quite often. Mine was £12 second hand. Great eyepiece. Gives really nice views for the price.

Archived