Seasoned astronomer but techy newbie - help!

Hullo.

I'm thinking of changing my telescope. I've had a 10" dobsonian for fifteen years

and although I love the thing. I'm thinking of getting a smaller telescope I

can take out into the country. Perhaps guided, I'm looking to spend

£500-£800. Perhaps even more for the right scope.

I'm coming at it from the angle - I hardly use the Dob because it's not

portable, and has to be kept at my parent's house 5 mile away. And even

there (5 miles from Wolverhampton) the light pollution is a pain. If I get a

smaller portable scope I can take out in the country, I'll not get the same

light gathering capacity perhaps as my 10" Dob (with 52" f/l), but I'll see

lots more because, well, I'll use it more. And I can take photos if it's

guided.

I know the sky well, but when it comes to digital astrophotography, I'm a newbie. I look at the fabulous images some people take and I'm green with envy.

I've not looked for telescopes for years, and I don't know what's out there. And I expect things have changed so much with the digital era.

Appreciate any advice. I don't want one where you dial in co-ordinates, I

like map reading & star hopping. But I would like one guided. So my criteria -

1) spending £500-£800

2) All round scope, planets and deep sky.

3) Needs to be guided.

4) Size. . I've got a van. It can be big, but not too big.

5) Needs independent power for the guide. I'll be hunting out dark sky sites.

I bet I'll have to buy a new camera too . . hmm. I've got a digital camera but I'll bet it's not suited for astrophotography. How does one hook up a camera to a scope, would I need am SLR?

I'm off uptown to get Astronomy mags now. I'm getting excited!

--

http://www.suaveharv.com/weblog.htm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Harv,

Welcome to the forum.

£800 would get you a 8" Newt HEQ5 with Skyscan (just about!!), I don't know how "portable" you'd regard this setup though., you can pick the portable power stations for about £30.

Another (lighter!!!) idea might an 8" SCT on EQ5, there is a Skyscan option for that mount coming in the nears future as well.

Regards

Gaz

EDIT: I should explain that Skyscan is a GOTO system, sorry if you already knew this!! :)

I bet I'll have to buy a new camera too . . hmm. I've got a digital camera but I'll bet it's not suited for astrophotography. How does one hook up a camera to a scope, would I need am SLR?

Which camera do you have? most of them can record images of the Moon and Planets :)

James :)

Thanks for the welcome Gaz. I'm glad I've found a busy UK based forum.

What's GOTO?

I don't want one of those computerised scopes in which you dial in co-ordinates, I just want one that tracks objects to allow for photography. I'd rather spend money on good optics than frills.

I don't mind humping a larger scope around, as I say, I have a van. My Dob is nearly as tall as me, but it's a little too big to store in my flat.

I'll look into the scope you suggested, doubtless I'll have more questions in a bit:D

My camera is a Olympus c-4000. 4 Megapixel. I can change the shutter speed etc. . so I'd hope it's going to be okay. At least to get me started anyway.

Years ago I had an Olypus SLR, but all it was good for was moon stuff, because my dob was unguided. Got some nice craters, but I'd love to do some digital deep sky stuff.

Harv

I have the exact model Gaz has mentioned. If you have a van then this would be ideal. It's nowhere near as big as the Dob, and only takes a few minutes to get set up.

Scope and mount will set you back around £520 and Gaz has already mentioned power packs. I've got a picture somewhere that I'll upload for you to see

Harv

To answer your other questions on the camera.....

The Explorer has a direct SLR connection on the focuser, so you just need an adapter. The adapter will fit onto a T-ring for your particular SLR. DSLR's are outside of my expertise I'm afraid, but essentially, the same is true. You will need an adapter.

The other option for digital is a web-cam. Of course, this needs a laptop.....

Oh, you can find out more on the scope here http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1649

:)

Gaz, the rocking chair is a family heirloom.

Made by my late grandfather is his last years of failing health, using nothing but a toothpick and surviving on only his Werthers Originals!!

:)

I don't think it's a browser problem, more like a user problem!

I was saying that an 8" in a dark sky will give me better results, possibly, than a 10" in a polluted sky. So even though I'm 'down sizing' I should see more.

And of course, I'll see more anyway if I'm using it more.

One guy once told me, at a star party in Birmingham, that his telescope was so cumbersome and complicated, he often didn't bother using it. He got more Astronomy pleasure from his old pair of 10X50 bins than his £1,000 plus scope, merely because he used them more.

Usability is half the battle I think.

Absolutely!! It could be the best scope in the world, but if you don't use it, it's not much good!!

As for using it for photography, I am trying to!! I have Toucam web-cam and a Canon SLR and am climbing the steep learning curve of astrophotography. To be honest, the focuser does not have enough back-focus to enable me to use the SLR at prime-focus. Other more learned users tell me this is a limitation of the Newtonian design. So, to rectify this, I am looking to change the focusser for a lower profile crayford one. This should give me enough back-focus.

There are a couple of us that are new to the imaging side, so keep asking the questions and we'll all move along a-pace.

Big Dipper, James, Ant, Celescope are amongst some our first-rate imagers. Take a look at the imaging sections.....

As for using it for photography, I am trying to!! I have Toucam web-cam and a Canon SLR and am climbing the steep learning curve of astrophotography. To be honest, the focuser does not have enough back-focus to enable me to use the SLR at prime-focus.

In other words, the camera needs to be further away from the telescope than the eyepiece holder allows? I had this problem years ago when I used my SLR with my dob.  I rigged up some kind of extension tube but it was Rubbish.

I've been looking for dimensions of your scope. How long is the main tube?

I've just looked at the "all the telescopes you've owned" thread, and quite a few rate this one.

thanks.

ps I'm sure there's a proper name for the 'eyepiece holder'.

[glow=red,2,300]Olympus c-4000[/glow] you own will be great for imaging the Moon and maybe the planets Suaveharv. Your camera has a manual mode which is great for focussing and getting the exposure right trial and error is sometimes best but check your LCD screen and look at the image you have just taken and adjust accordingly.

For using the camera at the eyepiece you will need one of these PH047 BC&F Astro Engineering ULTRA Afocal Camera Support http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=21715WBhin8BWHtNOYjvi3Yg5MwqmP0s&action=lnk for 24.99gbp they can be a bit fiddly at first but you will soon get used to it.

James

Hi Suavharv, Welcome to the forum. 

Regarding your original question; what are your main interests - lunar, planets, or deep sky - and are you looking for more of the same or a different viewing experience?  By that I mean, a portable version of what you already have on a motorised GEQ mount or a different scope like a refractor or catadioptric. 

Steve :)

[glow=red,2,300]Olympus c-4000[/glow] you own will be great for imaging the Moon and maybe the planets Suaveharv. Your camera has a manual mode which is great for focussing and getting the exposure right trial and error is sometimes best but check your LCD screen and look at the image you have just taken and adjust accordingly.

For using the camera at the eyepiece you will need one of these PH047 BC&F Astro Engineering ULTRA Afocal Camera Support http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=21715WBhin8BWHtNOYjvi3Yg5MwqmP0s&action=lnk for 24.99gbp they can be a bit fiddly at first but you will soon get used to it.

James

Thats good advice James. However, I know from experience that the lens used in the Olympus C4000 is not especially good at seeing thru eyepieces - there will be vignetting.  This is not to say that it isn't a good camera, just that it doesn't work well with eyepieces. 

Steve :)

Gaz: I may have confused myself! There's a post about this somewhere, just need to find it and refresh my memory!!!

Harv: See comment above about the camera adaptor. I'll check my facts before I respond on this.....

As for the tube, its a 200mm f/5, so its about a metre long. I'll do the weights for you tomorrow.......

It really is a cracking scope :)

Archived