Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Filter....

I have a few - some standard Moon Filters with a green/neutral density mix, a TAL one and a Neutral Density ND96.

I often use a mix of filters for the moon depending on what scope I am using and what the moons like. Most usually the TAL one (which looks like an ND filter) but very often the ND96 mixed with a green filter or sometimes the Light Pollution Filter.

I have a variable polarising filter. It's great because you can vary the amount of light transmission, rather than being a fixed density like a moon filter. So you can adjust the light to suit. Bit more expensive, but worth it for the versatility.

Rachel

Wratten #29 (deep red) - the colour is very strong but the moon is essentially colourless anyway. It's dark enough not to need any extra filtering (except possibly at very low power); the deep red colour helps preserve night vision and also helps reduce the effect of wobbly seeing as the air is steadier at longer wavelengths.

I have a Meade ND96, but have never used it... I don't normally use a filter for the moon, but then, none of my scopes are large enough to cause problems... and if I'm having a session viewing the moon, I normally sit there with a camping lantern... far easier to read maps and books and take notes.. and you don't need to be dark adapter to view the moon anyway.

Archived