Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NCG2264 Wide Field in Ha

BlueAstra

After my last shot at NGC1931, the next night I was going to go back to the same area. However, the Moon was close and quite bright so I moved down to the Orion region. Something I'd seen in pictures in magazines was the nebulosity around NGC2264, the Christmas Tree. So I thought I'd have a go at that.

This is a widefield Ha shot of NGC2264, showing the cone nebula and the other areas of nebulosity in the area. It's 5x300s + 5x600s, Meade 5000-80ED + TV0.8 FR + Ha + H16. OAG on C8 SCT. Red added with NC's PS action. I'm sure I must get my FW soon (!?). Thanks for looking.

post-16060-133877519403_thumb.jpg

OK, here is the image prior to the NC Red Ha action for PS. Without my filter wheel (in the post?) all I can do at the moment is put my Ha filter on the H16 and take Ha only shots on my widefield scope. Getting quite a collection now!

post-16060-133877519576_thumb.jpg

I'm getting the SX FW+OAG combo for the H16, since the SX OAG is low profile and will fit better with the H16 focal distance. My current OAG is an Orion which is quite thick, and is setup for DSLR imaging. Although I could use the Orion OAG with the C8+0.6FR+H16, the optimum BFL of the TV0.8 FR prevents me using it with the H16 on the Meade. The SX combo + H16 will fit either scope (with a change of front Tmount spacer), and I can leave the Orion OAG setup for DSLR work. If I used the Orion OAG for the H16 now, I would mess up the focal distance settings for the DSLR.

Thinking delivery wouldn't be too long (ordered beginning Dec!) I decided to leave the OAG on the C8 (minus DSLR) and shoot some widefield shots with the H16 on the Meade. How wrong I was!

Archived