NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This Morning I Travelled Back In Time!

Jimmy Stix

Bit naughty getting your attention like that but it did feel a little bit as if I did. You see I felt like a kid again, thinking about the marvels of space and "what was out there?".

Why? Well I got up, got out and found Saturn with my Mak this morning.

I don't mind telling you that I got quite emotional and felt full of chlidlike wonder. I remember that whenever I drew "outer space" back then it always included a planet that looked a bit like Saturn with those rings. Whenever space was dipicted in comics/books/cartoons it was there too.

Have just realised that the "2 stars" that were close and I had decided to check on when I got back were probably Enceladus & Dione.

Oh my!

What a smashing time I had. Great views of Venus (gosh it's bright isn't it), a lovely yellowy moon setting on the NW horizon, the sounds of the red grouse waking up on the moor ("Go-Back", "Go Back") and a tawny owl in the valley below. Best of all though was my first look at that "other worldly" gas giant.

Thanks for reading. I just wanted to tell someone. My wife was too groggy to be as excited as I was.

I think most of us suffer from a less than enthusiastic other half.:)

I must admit the feeling of satisfaction on finding things like Saturn and the like never really goes.

Sounds like you had one of those almost perfect mornings.

What a great experience. It's quite magical to wake up and go and look at the sky when there's only the moon and an owl for company. Did you see the Cassini division? I keep wondering what the 127 mak would show on Jupe & sat as I am thinking of getting one too, for quick planet viewing. I checked my Redshift program for moon positions this morning and am wondering if it was Rhea you saw as Enceladus is almost mag 12 which, as it was close to the planet would be quite difficult for that aperture. Both Tethys & Dione were pretty close too but you might have been able to see them, though it can take some looking when they are near the planet. You might have been able to see iapetus but it is easily mixed up with stars as it's way off at 4.5 arcminutes from saturn at present. Titan was visible too.

She's got lovely curves has Saturn, your wife might be jealous ! :)

Thanks for the reply Alan and the help with the moons. Like I said I kinda dismissed them as stars at first. Maybe they were but they looked very close (I know, I know we only effectively see a 2d picture :)) and Stellarium made me think it was Enceladus & Dione. To be honest I was so captivated by Saturn I wasn't really concentrating on much else that was around. I just made a mental note to check what stars were near.

No I did not manage the Cassini division I was just so happy to see those rings.

Our girl "Moony" is looking particularly gorgeous tonight so I think I shall be slipping out the back door to meet "her" tonight. :)

Archived