NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'scope storage in shed?

I am new to using a 'scope, and, having looked back through the threads it seems that people's opinion is that it is OK to store 'scopes in a shed.

However, having left my 'scope (on mount and tripod) in a shed for a couple of nights I happened to notice that there was condensation on the weight mount bar (everything else seemed fairly dry).

Is this normal? Should I worry? Would I be better storing the OTA inside?

Just wanting a little reassurance that I am not harming my 'scope, or, be told to "take her inside" for safe keeping.

Thanks in advance.

personally, I keep both my dobs in the house. it means I have to leave them a bit longer to cool and carry them out each time I observe, but your experiences are what would bother me. many though keep their gear in a garage/shed/observatory so they'll advise too hopefully.

I hope this thread is picked up and discussed by some 'in the know' types as well, because i would like to put my scope 'outside for the summer' it would be in a shed, but still in a pretty exposed location. In my case its more for a peaceful life because 'The Ministry of the Interior' keeps saying its in the way in the dining room!!!

In my case its more for a peaceful life because 'The Ministry of the Interior' keeps saying its in the way in the dining room!!!

I know that feeling :-) Pretty much the reason I was wanting to keep it in the shed.

As long as you take adequate precautions then there is no reason why you cannot keep your telescope in the shed. “Adequate precautions” in this case means keeping the instrument free of dust and moisture, and ensuring it doesn’t bake in the summer. A loose cover like and old cotton bedsheet will work wonders. Or, if you want to be ultra-careful, then a telescope cover will protect it. Ask yourself this question; with regards to housing the telescope then what’s the difference between an observatory and a shed? Telescopes are designed to be out all night in the open air in freezing temperatures where, very often, they get smothered in wet dew.

If you are still concerned then you could always invest in a Telegizmo 365. These covers are designed to be left out in the open all year round. Keep it in the shed and cover it. It’s that simple.

Cleetus

I keep my scope permanently mounted in my "well ventilated" obsy with nil adverse effect to date. No need to worry about set up, pack away or cool down.

That being said, my charts & eyepieces etc live in a tool box in the house. This stopsthe charts from getting damaged by the damp and the eps aren't cold and prone to fogging up when I start observing.

Mark

Archived