Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weight of Eyepiece...

magic77

Ive finally narrowed down my widefiled eyepiece to an Adler 32mm or SW Panaview 32mm with the help from alot of you experts(thank you)..Last question i promise!!..Would the weight difference bewtween the 2 be a factor to consider?....Thanks.

Don't know if the weight difference will be much between the 2 but weight is an issue to consider with 2" EPs in a dob. The leverage of how far the tube extends above its axis means that a heavier weight would be needed to counteract it if it won't balance particularly at lower angles.

You can sort the heavy eyepiece problem with a magnetic counterweight.

I keep mine in my eyepiece box, it attaches in a moment to fix balance

problems with my Dob.

When I had a SW Dob, it had a steel tube, so the magnetic counterweight

attached with no problem. When I changed to an OO Dob with its aluminium

tube, I fixed a couple of large steel washers to the tube end trim to give

an attachment point.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks John..Do you know what kind of weight we are talking about with the 2 Eyepieces?...Not 1KG i hope!!...

No - I think it's around half that. It's the ultra wide eyepieces such as the 31mm Nagler, 28mm UWAN and 31mm Axiom LX that are the heayweights - they need to have large pieces of glass in them to deliver the ultrawide, but well corrected, views - that's why they cost a packet as well !.

Archived