NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope choices...

OK. Let me put my cards on the table, I know next to nothing about telescopes other than that they make far away things look closer, however I'm eager and willing to read and learn.

I got a bit over-excited when I managed to spot the moons around Jupiter a couple of months ago with a telescope that I had borrowed and after doing a bit of reading I have decided to get a telescope of my own and hopefully see and possibly photo a bit of the cosmos.

I have three choices available to me:-

1) A TAL 1 telescope for £50

2) A Meade ETX90 (with the GOTO) £75

3) Any other telescope on the market.

Budget is an issue due to cash-sink that is my son :) The TAL1 & the Meade are going cheap as a friend has offered them as he bought the telescopes and then never used them! (he is rich - unlike me :( )

Initially my objectives would be to see the moon and the planets in more detail and to try and learn my way around the skies and then hopefully take it from there with the goal of taking some photos that look like the objects I'm taking a photo of rather than of a man stood in a field waving a torch 10miles away which is what my 1st efforts with the borrowed scope were like :)

Are either of the first two scopes an option for a beginner or should I spend my cash elsewhere and get something more suitable for my needs? I dont really understand the pros & cons of each at the moment :o

Thank you for reading :)

if you can possibly stretch to both the first two then you will have a serious bargain! They both seem very well priced and if they are complete and even with a couple of eyepieces you have a superb start.

I have not used either of these scopes but the Tal 1 is a very well built telescope for which I have seen high praise.

the ETX90 seems very cheap from prices I have found online but again would be a great buy with a long focal length for planets and the moon.

I think you'd struggle to better them for the money (you'd pay more for one I suspect than you will for both, on the open market eg http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview_archive.php?view=35724 assuming this is the same one).

both those scopes are bargains and will be great for a beginner. The etx 90 is a great little portable go to and will give some nice views of planets and the moon and some of the brighter deep sky.

the tal 1 is a eq mounted reflector without goto. but is also a well rated scope.

I dont think either would be suited for astro photography, but the etx would be able to track planets for web cam photography.

If it were my money ill snap up the etx.. keep it as a first scope, if you ever want a bigger scope you can keep it as a travel scope

at that price I would have them both if you don't like one or either you could sell for a profit both are nice scopes and whoever buys one would get a bargain. win win for everyone. your mate gets rid of clutter you get most of your money back and a new guy gets a good scope at a good price where it can be used and cherished

if you can possibly stretch to both the first two then you will have a serious bargain! They both seem very well priced and if they are complete and even with a couple of eyepieces you have a superb start.

I have not used either of these scopes but the Tal 1 is a very well built telescope for which I have seen high praise.

the ETX90 seems very cheap from prices I have found online but again would be a great buy with a long focal length for planets and the moon.

I think you'd struggle to better them for the money (you'd pay more for one I suspect than you will for both, on the open market eg UK Astronomy Buy & Sell assuming this is the same one).

Hi Moonshane, thanks for your reply!

Both are complete telescopes, the ETX90 is still in the original packaging - he never put it together! I could only stretch to one as the wife would complain about the space they take up in the house :)

You said that the ETX90 has a long focal length which would be good for planets, does this mean that it wouldnt be as good for deeper sky objects than the TAL would or is the TAL just not as good a scope?

both those scopes are bargains and will be great for a beginner. The etx 90 is a great little portable go to and will give some nice views of planets and the moon and some of the brighter deep sky.

the tal 1 is a eq mounted reflector without goto. but is also a well rated scope.

I dont think either would be suited for astro photography, but the etx would be able to track planets for web cam photography.

If it were my money ill snap up the etx.. keep it as a first scope, if you ever want a bigger scope you can keep it as a travel scope

Hi CGolder, thanks for replying :)

I hadnt thought about he portability of the scopes - that could be a clincher really as I live in the city and so if I wanted to see anything other than the moon and planets then I assume I would have to head for clearer skies and that means driving with the scope in the boot!

at that price I would have them both if you don't like one or either you could sell for a profit both are nice scopes and whoever buys one would get a bargain. win win for everyone. your mate gets rid of clutter you get most of your money back and a new guy gets a good scope at a good price where it can be used and cherished

Hi rowan :o

Sadly buying both isnt an option - the reduced prices are because he is a friend and also the wife guards the little storage space we have with a passion :)

They are both good in different ways and knowing what I know now I'd buy them both at that price. If I could have one, well that's a toughy. The ETX is really for the Moon and planets and much more portable but the TAl will do that just as well and be better on DSO's. I've used a few TAL1's and they are great scopes for the money.

hi there

the Tal has a bigger aperture and a shorter focal length so will show more sky (wider field) and fainter objects will be brighter than the ETX. The ETX will be very good on the moon and planets / double stars. I would expect it to be OK on a lot of other targets too albeit it will gather a little less light with the smaller aperture than the Tal.

The Tal will possibly be bigger than the ETX and slightly less portable.

Given your other comments the ETX seems most appropriate to you.

Whichever you get you have a bargain and will have lots to see!

Buy both, keep the TAL, and sell the ETX90 for a profit. Use the profit for eyepieces, accessories and some cosmetics to keep your wife happy. The £75 for a ETX90 is a bargain. Here is one on ebay going for over £311. MEADE ETX-90EC Telescope + Accessories (Mint Condition) on eBay (end time 18-Jan-11 21:15:34 GMT)

If you can only get one, I'd buy the ETX90, you can sell it for a lot more than the TAL in the future, which can help to fund an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived