Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote Control

With so many telescopes having computer control systems for star location and webcams for imaging, I would be interested in how people operate this set up.

My goal is to be able to control and observe from the warmth and comfort of the living room whilst the scope is at the top of the garden (approx 50' away). I know that serial cables are good for 150' or so, but as most cameras are USB this has its limitations. One solution I thought of would be to use a remote desktop connection to a netbook, but these are not the most powerful of computers, especially in the graphics area. My set up would also not be fixed, ie I'm not building an observatory at the end of the garden, but could terminate cables in a waterproof box against a shed which is approx 8' away from where I would be placing the scope.

Malcolm

One solution I thought of would be to use a remote desktop connection to a netbook, but these are not the most powerful of computers, especially in the graphics area.

The graphics are not really an issue here as the 'real' graphics work would be done inside your home on a home PC after you have captured your data. Many of us use a netbook outside to control the 'scope and capture images so this would work fine. Run a network cable outside and remote control the netbook via 'Remote Desktop', this works very well.

As the scope (or Nexstar system) connects via serial, I would need a serial to USB adaptor to run the scope from the netbook. The reason I mentioned the graphics is that using Stellarium on the netbook I'm lucky if I get a screen update at 0.3 fps. If this was accessed via RDC It would be very hard to control.

I guess running a serial cable from the main PC in the lounge, along with a cat5 cable to the scope, thus controlling the scope from the main PC, but RDC to the netbook to do the capturig would be the best option ?

Active USB leads will cope up to 20 metres (by daisy chaining 3 x 5m actives and a single standard USB lead). I picked up a 12m active cable off Amazon.

What I did is get a plastic toolbox and mounted the various transformers inside (one for the scope mount, one for the DSLR, laptop, etc). I have a small powered USB hub in there as well. A 15 metre mains power extension runs power back into the house. A 12 metre single active USB then runs from the toolbox back into the house (I could stick another 5 metre extension on there no problem) and connects to my Netbook. The 'scope is under control from Stellarium, via a USB-to-Serial converter.. I use APT for the DSLR or Sharpcap for the webcam. The Netbook is on wifi, so any files are squirted directly onto my network attached storage device

Because everything is stored in the toolbox, I can just bung it under the scope. Packing away is a lot easier, and the transformers are kept out of the dew. I can then sit in the house and control everything from there. The only thing that I haven't got at this point is remote control of the focuser.

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought that USB would die after 5m without the use of some inline booster cable - guess that's what you mean by active USB - I'll investigate that. Ideally I'll keep the power blocks / transformers in the shed, and then run low voltage cables to the scope. I like the idea of taking feed from the camera and serial control from the main PC rather than having to have a netbook running remotely, so will price up the cabling - thanks for the suggestions

Malcolm

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought that USB would die after 5m without the use of some inline booster cable - guess that's what you mean by active USB - I'll investigate that. Ideally I'll keep the power blocks / transformers in the shed, and then run low voltage cables to the scope. I like the idea of taking feed from the camera and serial control from the main PC rather than having to have a netbook running remotely, so will price up the cabling - thanks for the suggestions

Malcolm

Active USB will give you 20metres of extension.

Im not sure if you will be able to keep the power bricks in the garage and extend the DC cables.....you will get a lot of voltage drop, which could cause problems with the mount. I'd be surprised if there was enough power after a 20 metre run.

Run a 240v power extension to the scope, and use the bricks from there.

The graphics are not really an issue here as the 'real' graphics work would be done inside your home on a home PC after you have captured your data. Many of us use a netbook outside to control the 'scope and capture images so this would work fine. Run a network cable outside and remote control the netbook via 'Remote Desktop', this works very well.

Ok, seems I have a while to wait before my scope arrives (4 - 6 weeks :D ) so I've been looking at setting up the software and testing out remote desktop connections. I found that the netbook's wi-fi connection worked fine at the top of the garden in the location where the scope will be sited. This is excellent news as it means I only have to run power from a brick out-house some 20" or so away to my nice wooden shed (basically we have a patio between these two buildings at the to of the garden). This means that all I need do is used one USB ext lead for the CCD, and a 3m drive cable for the scope (would a telephone extension cable work ?).

Now just need to look into motorized focusing for the C6-SGT.... you have to have deep pockets for for this sort of thing !

Archived