Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fuji fine pix

matchew

hi people

i have a fuji finepix s1600 12mega pixels 15x wide.i ave taken a few night sky images and i know it can do a much better image

i was hoping if any 1 could help with me with my manual settings,,,,what iso,exp time etc and why,

its okay some one telling me to set it to lets say 800 iso but why am i adjusting it,,,,what does it stand for and what does it mean to use higher iso to lower iso

my head is full of un answered questions and its frustrating not knowing wat im doing.

and from wat ive seen image wise from some of you im envious and feel that i am missing out.

i am aware i can not swap lenses but i know there is more to get out this camera.

thank you for taking he time to read my post.

matt

I had a Panasonic point and shoot that had great manual functions on it so you may be able to do the same with your camera. you need to know a little about what ISO, F-Stop and other functions of your camera actually mean. The ISO is the sensativity of your image sensor, so if you shoot at ISO 800 you will be able to capture 2x the amount of data as if you shot it at ISO 400, but the more you up the ISO the more noisy and grainy your pic will look. Your F-stop is the amount of light that your camera lets in through the lens, and the lower the f stop number the more light is getting to your sensor. your best bet is to just play around with different settings while shooting and it will become appearent what works best for your camera.

With traditional film cameras, ISO was the sensitivity of the film - the higher the ISO, the more sensitive the film which would enable images in lower light.

On modern digital cameras, the sensitivity of the image chip is actually fixed. Increasing the ISO actually "amplifies the data that is received" - unfortunately this does mean that it also amplifies the unwanted noise data as well. This is where the balance comes between getting enough data as quickly as possible whilst not amplifying the noise too much. I usually image at ISO400 or ISO800 depending on conditions and the brightness of the target. This is where multiple images that can be stacked helps - this has the effect of maximising the signal and reducing the noise.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

Archived