NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging DSO's with bright moon

NickRose2006

I was going by the DSO Browser site.

I dont dispute it. I just didnt think it was that much.

I'd loved to have gone out and had a look because it was all i could see through the cloud. The terminator looked great naked eye.

I just checked. You are correct. It is 83% full.

Maybe i need new glasses.

Imaging small bright objects in RGB such as planetary nebulae is possible in bright moonlight, and imaging clusters is also OK, but faint extended objects tend to get washed out.

Narrowband imaging in bright moonlight is possible, but even then it's best to image an object that's as far away from the moon as possible.

The smaller the bandwidth of the NB filter, the less the moonlight will affect the image.

Cheers

Rob

That moon's driving me loopy! There are some great clear skies forecast over the next few days so I was hoping for my first chance to try out my new LP filter and coma corrector (since Santa brought me them). Tried this weekend, but exposures look so washed out!

Might try out a few clusters as you suggest though, Rob - should be a good test of the coma corrector...

Archived