Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie requires Photo Advice

Hi and may i first say what a great site for a beginner like myself.

I am after some advice regarding Astrophotography.

I have recently bought a Explorer 150p and would now like to stat taking photos of the moon & Jupiter.

Reading other threads i think i will opt for the SPC880 webcam but i would like advice on what adaptors / mounts i require and also what filters to purchase.

Any advice greatly recieved.

Cheers Trend

A warm welcome to SGL.

Once you've sourced your cam you'll need a nose piece, have a look at these from FLO Adaptors

As regards filters, I just have a moon filter, for the moon! or a light pollution reduction filter.

If you haven't found a reliable source for the cam, these people get loads of recommendations Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers

Then you'll need some capture software, SharpCap or wxAstroCapture are fairly popular, both free downloads from the net. Finally, something to process the avi, Registax, again free off the internet.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Trend - thanks for the compliment on the site :)

If you get the webcam from Morgans website - there is a suitable 1.25" adaptor on the same page - or alternatively you'll find one on FLO. Morgans also have links to the software for flashing it up to SPC900 and drivers.

You might want to try wxAstroCature to run the camera - it's free. There are other ones too that people will suggest.

If your scope is on the EQ3-2 mount then you'll want a right ascension tracking motor to keep planets in the eyepiece for longer frame grabbing. Again FLO do these:

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=singlemotoreq32

Hope that helps :D

Archived