Nexstar 5se problem

Hi all, I apologise If Im being stupid but Im struggling here. I got my first view of Jupiter tonight and am really chuffed, It clouded over so I thought I would practice setting up the skyalign feature but the handset keeps freezing on the screen that says" use the following screens to select three bright stars-press enter to continue" I press enter and the screen just freezes,Ive entered my local city as plymouth,Zone 3,correct time,daylight saving,etc Its a nexstar 5se, Any ideas?

Thanks

Sean.

Hi Sean,

you may find it best to use a seperate power tank or mains regulated supply here's a link to Maplins showing the regulated supply

maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power

also, I would think it best if you set your exact latitude/longtitude

look here

www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

setting the alignment can be a bit tricky sometimes, I would agree with trying a 2 star alignment, I used the same method when I had my 6se.

Hope that helps

Alan

Noticed you mentioned "Zone 3".

What is Zone 3?

If it is the time zone then it should be 0.

Thought being that instead of driving the scope into the mount that the system freezes instead.

I presume that you have entered DST as Off?

Just ask as you say you have entered it but don't say what you entered.

Always feel unsafe with using places in the handset as many US places are the same as UK ones, Plymouth Massachusetts, and if missed you end up with a location just under aquarter of the way around the earth. Remember that Celestron is a US company and US locations will be the prominent ones.

Thanks for the help guys, Right I entered my long/lat manually,Made no difference at all, I had it wrong regarding zone 3 and changed to universal time but it made no difference, In fact Ive done everything including using a 12v adapter in to the mains which powered the scope fine but made no difference, My conclusion is that the handset either needs re-flashing or is knackered, As soon as I get to the screen "use the following screens to select three stars.press enter to continue" and press enter the screen just freezes, Luckily I spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said I can have a full refund if I want, I could buy a cable,re-flash etc but theres no guarantee it will work and Im getting a bit frustrated lol.

I had a similier problem with mine when I first got it......dont worry it is easy to fix,

First go here

How do I program my flash upgradeable hand control? What about motor control upgrades?

then go to the download page and download the firmware updates

Downloads / Celestron.com

If you bought the scope new it should come with the cable for doing it, you may need to get a USB adaptor for it. I think it rells you in the manual on how to do it.

Takes 5 minutes once you have the gear

Sorry for the late reply, I have spoken to the guy I bought the scope from and he said he is more than happy to refund me in full. I know this could be just a handset re-flash problem but if not it could get expensive, Anyway I am still going to get a nexstar but may just buy a new 6se(unless someones selling a working secondhand one lol)

Archived