Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO image through bedroom window

PortableAstronomer

Absoultely brilliant!

An inspiration. I used to know a guy who put cling film over the end of the telescope as an experiment, most people thought he was nutty but the results spoke for themselves. The moment people say it can't be done, I'm thinking "I'll give it a go!" I agree on a bit more detail, I have bad LP so I'm never going to get as good as those in a dark sky.

Rob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding polar alignment, I used a tool called WCS polar align, which is a CCD-form of drift alignment, but instead of working in small nudges at a time it works out how far to turn the mount until a star appears at a computer generated spot on the screen.

Orion was passing through the meridian at the time, so the effect of reflections wasn't noticeable, but I tried again last night at a much later time when the scope was looking through the window at an angle, and all stars were 'doubled' by the reflections between each pane of glass in the window, and the autoguiding was very confused.

So it seems it really does matter where in the sky you are pointing the scope; you need to be looking through the window at the steepest angle possible, no surprises there really.

Also I'm lucky to have concrete floors in the house; otherwise I would have to keep my feet very still!

I tried imaging through my loft room velux window last night and sadly it isn't going to work for me. Even when I am sat still there are too many vibrations through the floor to get anything without blurring even on only 20sec subs.

Archived