NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacement altitude adjust bolts HEQ5 / EQ6

dmahon

I ordered some replacement HEQ5 altitude adjustment bolts recently as I have heard that the originals bend and they are certainly a bit fiddly to adjust. They arrived quickly, but when I came to fit them, they are obviously too thin.

What is the difference with the EQ6 bolts - have I been sent those by mistake - despite being clearly labelled as HEQ5 on the bag?

Are there various versions of the HEQ5 (mine is new)?

I'm sure it will be sorted out - as long as mine is not some new specification and the bolts aren't available.

I don't have any EQ6 ones to try, but the HEQ5 ones (pictured) are too small. I only noticed after I took the old bolt out and found that the new one wasn't doing anything when I tried to screw it in - it just drops straight into the hole which is far too big for it.

Hi,

I do apologise, but I was put off when you called the Latitude

adjuster bolt the altitude bolt.

Above the leg with the "N" on it are two bolts used to adjust

the Alt/Az in conjunction with the Polarscope alignment purposes.

The bolt in your pic is one of the Latitude adjusting bolts, and

should be set permanently at your Latitude, which will save you a few Quid.

mijijim

The original bolts on my HEQ5 are 9.8mm, the replacement bolts I have are 7.8mm.

What size are the EQ6 bolts?

The EQ6 bolts are 9.8mm as well according to my Vernier calipers. I would get in touch with John Rose about replacing them, sounds like he's sent you the wrong bolts.

The diameters are nominally 10mm for EQ6 and HEQ5 and 8mm for the EQ5, CG5, Vixen GP and similar clones.

If sounds as if for some reason you have the wrong ones, either PM me or email me direct and I will make arrangements to swap them over for the right ones.

John

Didn't realise that you made them for the EQ5 - only ever seen them advertised for the EQ6 and HEQ5 (and then they are advertised seperately so I assumed there was adifference between them). Anyway, thanks for the offer but I got them from Modern Astronomy (mainly because I couldn't see a way to order online in the middle of thenight from astrodevelopments.eu) and Bern has already agreed to swap them, when I get around to sending them back. They were labelled HEQ5.

Archived