Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not ideal conditions last night but my first M42

Digz

Well, last night was the first night I managed to get my scope out for a long, long time, and the first time this year.

I decided I would have a pop at M42 as Ive been waiting for it to clear our roof, and for the skies themselves to clear. The conditions we not ideal last night with a howling wind but I just couldnt help myself.

I also want to try using my set up hooked up to Stellerium now I have it working on my mac to test this out.

Anyway, below is the result of last nights attempt:

15 Frames made up of a combination of 10 x 60sec and 5 x 30sec subs. I took darks but tried some experimentation. This final shot is a composite of the above stacked with the darks (which actually resulted in a colourless image) and the same minus the darks.

The colourless image was used as a false luminance channel in the composite minus the darks. A single shot was then composited on to try and bring the core out and stop it being blown.

As I said, not perfect conditions, some startrailing and focus is not quite spot on. I know that more data will also help reduce the noise.

digz-albums-dso-picture8326-m42-composite.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Ive read about others getting that warm fuzzy feeling when they see this on their screen for the first time and I got exactly the same feeling. Had to run indoors and bring the missus out to show her :evil6::eek:

Archived