Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

difficulty focusing/tracking

Hi all

i was out last night and got my first viewing of saturn using the 20mm EP, all was very clear and i could see a very tiny saturn and its rings!

i decided then to have a look using the 12.5mm EP, at this level of magnification i found it impossible to focus on saturn as my scope wobbled a lot when focusing, it seems to stop wobbling if you dont touch it for a few seconds but obviousley this makes tracking impossible as all your seeing is a dot dancing around the EP.

so what im wondering is...would this be down to the tripod and/or mount?

i mean its only a £39 jessops scope so im not expecting anything special, i can post pics of the tripod and mount if needed.

Help appreciated in advance :)

If you were to mount your scope on a more stable, equatorial mount with a motor drive on the right ascension axis and use a good quality eyepiece such as a TMB Planetary or one of it's clones, you would see a significant improvement although the optics of a £39 scope will have their limits of course.

Trouble is that you will need to spend around 3-4 times what the scope cost to achieve this - it may be better just to buy a new scope - the Skywatcher 130 newtonians can be had complete for £130.

yeah i was thinking it could be something to do with the quality of all the equipent, it dosent have an EQ.

I think it would definitley be a more economical soloution to purchase a better scope rather than try to improve the one ive got. And i think i might well do that when ive got access to the for sale part :)

cheers for clearing that up for me mate

Maybe your best bet would be to allow Saturn to play catch up - this is what I do with my Dob. Basically, you know in what direction the planets (or any other body) is moving, so move your scope ahead to allow enough time for the vibrations to settle down - then your object will drift into the eyepiece.

I agree with John - cut your losses in favour of a proper beginner scope like the 130P from Skywatcher. An EQ mount though strange at first setting up - will eventually become a doddle to setup and use. The supplied ep's are basic but much better than what you currently have. :)

Maybe your best bet would be to allow Saturn to play catch up.

i tried to do this but i couldnt get it focused well enough do it vibrating like crazy when i try to focus, i guess its just a matter of trial and error and patience, it was nearly 4 am and really cold by this point :)

looks like i'd better get saving and keep my eye out for a second hand one, until then im sure theres still plenty more enjoyment to get out of my current scope

Archived