Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using filters on a pair of binoculars

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few people I know, use filters with binoculars. You can have good pictures if you use good filters. But it's a matter of cost because you need 2 of them for binoculars.

Also to buy cheap filters will cost you more, because you will not have the results you await.

So let's talk what is the ideal recommendation irrespective any cost.

If you use it in a light pollution area you can use Baader Moon & Skyglow filters. They will reduce the affects of light pollution slightly. Also are good for moon observing. Keep in mind that they have not effect under dark skies.

Ideally if somebody want to go for more, Lumicon "Deep Sky filter" is the one for deeper observing.

hi there

I have the same binoculars. They really are excellent for the money they cost. They are also very heavy and need at least a monopod for support.

I have never fitted filters and generally prefer an unfiltered view with my scopes too. If you want to then you can. There is a 1.25" female thread on the eyepiece end so you'd need two filters as mentioned above. I have two concerns with fitting filters (apart from cost). 1) The filter would be very close to the eye and therefore will probably suffer from greasing from eyelashes - another reason to buy higher quality filters as they clean more 'safely'. 2) I suspect that as the filter is 'outside' rather than 'inside' as it would be when fitted to eg an eyepiece you may get reflections. Not sure about this latter point.

You could always fit solar filters to the objectives if you wanted to (usual precautionary warnings apply).

hi there

I suspect that as the filter is 'outside' rather than 'inside' as it would be when fitted to eg an eyepiece you may get reflections..

That is correct; it is why I only use a filter when I am at a very dark site.

I occasionally use a Lumicon UHC on my big Miyauchi. I find it best with the non-dominant eye. It helps a bit but, nearly 10 years down the line with it, I'm still undecided about whether it is worth the initial expense, and hassle of use -- I know it's only a matter of time before I drop it onto the ground then tread it in before I find alight to look for it!

Thanks every body for the information :) The Baader Moon and Skyglows I'll look in to.. wondering about the UHC and OIII, are they worth the extra cost? They're really expensive :)

Maybe I should do what a couple of you mentioned and not bother with filters but there is a lot of light pollution here...

Thanks again, every body for the the info :)

Wishing you all clear skies...

I use a UHC -- it's OK (and, if you are only going to get one filter, it is probably the one to get). Forget the O-III -- it really needs quite a lot more aperture -- although I have used one (Lumicon) on a 5", it really needs at least 8" before it comes into its own.

If I have to buy my first filter for telescope this will be a UHC.

But for binoculars this will be a pair of Lumicon "Deep Sky filter". Doesn't dim so much the sky and it's more pleasure for the eye. You can see well a lot of objects, like globular clusters and nebula, the best for M42.

UHC (and OIII) needs more light than a 70mm or 80mm binoculars can gather.

One o two? This is the next question. Using only one makes the advantage of binoculars, this of the 3D view, disappear. As I mentioned the cost is high.That's why I don't know a lot of people using ( a pair of) filters in binoculars.

Archived