NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dobsonian Mount to EQ

Stephen

I wonder if I could lean on your collective knowledge :)

I am about to buy a Skyliner 200P and wanted to know if at a later point I get some more money together, is the tube transferable to another mount such as an EQ5?

Photography is my long (very long!) term goal, but getting myself and my daughter back out in the field (so to speak) is my short term aim.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to think about a beefier mount than an EQ5, especially if photography is your aim. The 200P dobsonian has F/6 optics so the tube is longer than the F/5 200's that Skywatcher do on the EQ5's. Longer tubes need stronger mounts.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward as Gaz says.

You might want to think about a beefier mount than an EQ5, especially if photography is your aim. The 200P dobsonian has F/6 optics so the tube is longer than the F/5 200's that Skywatcher do on the EQ5's. Longer tubes need stronger mounts.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward as Gaz says.

Thanks for the tip! Funnily enough I was reading one site last night that suggested the eq5 was only suitable up to 150cm. Guess its going to be a 6 or maybe one of those goto upgrade kits that were in the skywatcher 2011 brochure! Time and pennies will tell :)

I wonder if I could lean on your collective knowledge :)

I am about to buy a Skyliner 200P and wanted to know if at a later point I get some more money together, is the tube transferable to another mount such as an EQ5?

Photography is my long (very long!) term goal, but getting myself and my daughter back out in the field (so to speak) is my short term aim.

Thanks in advance!

If you already have the EQ5, don't worry too much. It will go on the EQ5, i successfully had mine on the EQ5. But you will need to add the Skywatcher Autofocus to remove the vibrations when focusing. But as John says, better to budget for the HEQ5.

Thanks for the tip! Funnily enough I was reading one site last night that suggested the eq5 was only suitable up to 150cm. Guess its going to be a 6 or maybe one of those goto upgrade kits that were in the skywatcher 2011 brochure! Time and pennies will tell :D

I wouldn't take any notice of that. The EQ5 takes an 8" no problem. It's just better on the HEQ5.

Archived