My new purchase ......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not even opend the box really,his wife bought them as a birthday gift and they are still boxed up. There are camera connections as he has exactly the same camera as I have. The power pack he bought could jump start a lorry as said he spared no expense and I will not be setting it up till at least the weekend.

If your powerpack hasn't been charged in 18-months you may find it has difficulty holding a charge so you may need to scource a new battery for it. once thats charged test it and charge once a month even if you don't use it.

The person whom I bought it from was also planning an observatory in his vast grounds and even had an order list from a company who built these to order. The picture he showed me had a domed roof

The person whom I bought it from was also planning an observatory in his vast grounds and even had an order list from a company who built these to order. The picture he showed me had a domed roof

Get him to have it built......but to save the hassle of selling it in 18 months ask him to have it built in your back garden.:eek::)

That's a better bargain than mine lol. One thing I have bought as he didn't have one , was the Synscan GPS mouse. I guess ill have to update the new firmware to EQ6 as well ?

Give over , I feel embarrassed now , other people have lesser equipment. You know the saying ....... It's not only what you got it's how you use it lol

Just one other question

The cable to link the Synscan to the pc has a n RS11 plug ( looks like a telephone plug ) and the other end has a DBP9 pin out . My question is can you buy an adapter to turn it into a USB plug ?

Hi Supercharged

Sorry to be skeptic but did this client have a caravan and like dogs ??? Sometimes when something sounds to good to be true .............:eek:

If it is all cosha and you haven't handed over £400 on a whim then congrats on what is sale of the century. The scope would give you absolutely amazing views and will be able to track objects in the sky. The down side is it will stand some way of the ground and the focuser could well end up on top of the OTA making it a step ladder balancing act to look through the eye piece or in the complete opposite directly under the OTA. Either way with such a monstrous scope it will not be the most comfortable of set ups to use. My advice would be to split the combo and either have the OTA set up on a lazy Susan cradle and use it as a dob doing away with focuser orientation issues. Or sell the OTA to help fund a good quality refractor, SCT, MAK, RC or Klevzov-Cassegrain. With the EQ6 you can go as large as you want and still have a stable platform to work off. Another option open to such a good deal is to keep the eye pieces sell the rest of the setup for the correct resale price of £750+ and get a more suitable starter setup. You may have all the gear but if you have no idea :)

SPACEBOY

The down side is it will stand some way of the ground and the focuser could well end up on top of the OTA making it a step ladder balancing act to look through the eye piece or in the complete opposite directly under the OTA.
Hmm, someone else who doesn't know the tube rotates in the rings... :eek:

I had a 250 on an EQ-6 Pro and I can tell you they are easy to use (with just a little nouse). I only gave up my 250 for a C9.25 because of my slipped disc - the 250 was too bulky to lift (not too heavy).

It's a great combination and I had some of the best views of Mars ever early last year. You are very very lucky to get it all for £400.

I've known him for years , he,s not short of a few quid and has more hobbies that have come and gone than you've had hot dinners lol

I'm going to keep the set up and get to grips with it as I like a challenge and it's a good set up.

He's also had a custom made pedestal made and a base plate with the intension of poising the tripod , I think he said he paid £200 I'll post some pics in a day or 2

Just been reading a post of someone who bought one last March and other owners say it's a nightmare to use ?

No, it's not. You've got an amazing rig now for a fraction of the price. And there's nothing complicated about the kit. heavy, yes...but not a nightmare to use. Think joy :)

It's going to make you a very happy bunny.

Good on ya fella :eek:

Does your client have any more kit? Pm me ;) lol

Hmm, someone else who doesn't know the tube rotates in the rings... :D.

Well aware my friend and have looked in to Astro_baby's mod to stop the tube kango-ing the floor http://www.astro-baby.com/articles/rotating%20rings/Rotating%20Rings%20Project.htm but in my personal experience you loose alignment accuracy doing this on a GT mount. Granted this may not be so the case with a EQ6 but the forces of gravity will always want to go on the side of the heavy EP/Focuser and 1.2mm cold rolled steel dose tend to flex in that direction also.

If you can suggest a full proof and easy meathod..beleive me I am all ears Mr Spock as I am sick of taking a stumble off my Lidl granny steps. :)

SPACEBOY

Archived